55

Alex didn't know what Harry saw, but it was enough. He approached her as she, Ginny and Hermione did their homework in the library. She ignored him, and Hermione stepped in as buffer.

"She doesn't want to talk to you." She told him, as Alex stood up and walked towards the bookshelves, disappearing amongst them.

"I just wanted-"

"She doesn't care, Harry. She doesn't want to talk to you, or even see you for that matter."

"Dumbledore-"

"Don't be an idiot, Harry." Hermione patronised. "Imagine if she saw your memories? Saw your childhood. How would you feel?" It seemed to dawn on him the severity of Alex's situation. "She's humiliated. She only ever showed Dumbledore her memories because she thought she was petrifying people. It's personal and you are the last person she'd ever want inside her mind."

"I know that." He said. "I just want to talk to her. I didn't see much, but what I saw was horrible. And when Snape pulled me out- I don't think Dumbledore's going to show me anymore. And I wouldn't have looked if I knew she hadn't given permission. Can you tell her that? And that I'm sorry. Can you tell her I didn't see a lot and I'm not going to see anymore and I won't talk about it to anyone?"

"Yeah, we'll tell her." Hermione nodded. He turned and left.

"Snape was there?" Ginny asked, curiously. "I thought she was avoiding him because he's... you know."

"She was. She gave up on that."

"I can't imagine him having," Ginny lowered her voice. "A squib brother."

"Or even a brother?" Hermione asked and Ginny nodded. "I know, me neither. I try not to think about it. Alex thinks it's normal but she sees him differently to us."

"Are they close because-" Ginny broke off as Blaise approached them.

"Have you seen Alex?" He asked.

"And what if we have?" She said, a look of disdain clear on her face. He rolled his eyes and glanced at Hermione, who narrowed her eyes. Eventually she sighed and turned to whisper to Ginny.

"We may not like it but he's her friend and she needs friends right now." Ginny's face soured as Hermione gestured back towards the bookshelves.

"Why Zabini?" Ginny wondered. "He's an airhead. He has no significant thoughts in his brain."

"I don't know. But he is, so.." she shrugged.

Alex and Blaise didn't return for a while. Hermione gave her friend a knowing look as Alex sat down.

"I see you found her." She remarked.

"Yeah." He nodded. "She got a little lost in the books."

"Don't encourage her." Alex muttered quietly to him.

"Is he staying?" Ginny asked. "Please say no."

"Sorry to disappoint." Alex told her sister who groaned. "He's not so bad."

"He's a halfwit."

"Better than some of the people you choose to spend your time with."

"Harry's not dumb." Ginny defended her boyfriend. Blaise let out a doubtful cough. "Shut up, halfwit."

"Okay, Gin. Please be nice? Let's just focus on our work."

"So how dangerous is the forest?" Pedro fell into step with Alex a few minutes after she left his class.

"Well, unless you know your way around, or enough spells to defend yourself." She shrugged. "I wouldn't suggest you go in there. You're not too great at defense, are you? Plus you're new so you're not familiar with the forest."

"I'm not terrible at defense." He said.

"We have acromantulas who've recently lost their leader. The leader who kept them from straying too far from their lair. There's a dragon, possibly. Rude centaurs. A chimaera maybe. Defensive unicorns, gremlins and did I mention the rude centaurs?"

"You did. I get your point. So how do I harvest potions ingredients from the forest?" Alex sighed.

"Fine, I'll take you." She said. "But if you annoy me, I'm totally going to ditch you in there."

"Then I'll tell Hermione."

"I'm not scared of her." Alex frowned. Pedro nodded doubtfully. "I'm not! It's just that she's been my friend for five, almost six years now, and knows too much about me. You cannot be friends with her."

"Why not?"

"You're old, it's creepy."

"I'm only two years older than you."

"Exactly. You need friends your own age."

"I do have friends my own-"

"In England?"

"Why are you so harsh?" He asked.

"Because you make it so easy." She laughed, stopping as she caught sight of her uncle. He was heading towards them. He glanced between them as he passed and she stopped and stood straight. "Just meet me at the entrance tonight. Say, ten?"

"Isn't it more dangerous at night?"

"I know my way. I spend my nights out there sometimes. It's fine, as long as you follow my basic instructions." She told him. "I'm just trying not to get caught hanging out with you."

"Your mother is kind. How did she raise you?"

"No I mean, it's literally a bad idea for us to get caught hanging out."

A/N- originally, I was going to make Ginny find out about Blaise and Alex here, but when I got to writing it, it didn't really happen so I guess it's gonna have to be some other way. Also basically all of next chapter is just featuring some cousin content, so 😉

Favourite line is "Harry's not dumb." Ginny defended her boyfriend. Blaise let out a doubtful cough. "Shut up, halfwit."