She neared me and crouched down, gripping my shoulder firmly, sending a chill down my spine.

"If you want to get out of here, do as I say," she whispered so it was only audible to me.

I grit my teeth, no way was I going to hand over Gracie just like that. But I didn't really have an option. All odds were against me. I knew deep down that I was just stirring up a scene and it wouldn't help in the least.

I eventually loosened my grasp on the little girl, her eyes locking with mine. I smiled, the best I could muster up

• • •

"You may start now," a voice from the speaker announced.

I started scribbling down my answers at a fast space. Once I reached the end of the page, I flipped the page over and quickly eyed the page up and down before resting my arm and resuming writing again.

After minutes of continuous writing, I sighed as I put down my pen. My eyes wandered across the room, halting at the glass window separating my room from hers.

She was holding her paper in her hands, flipping one page after the other, probably revising the content. Her hair bounced every now and then whenever she tilted her head. Her eyelashes batting as she blinked, eyes always fixated on the paper. She made a few notes, strands of hair covering a clear view of her side profile. Her wrist stopped moving for a moment and her head moved towards my direction. I immediately straightened my posture, eyes darting to the desk in front of me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her blink a few times, seemingly puzzled before turning away.

I hissed under my breath, bewildered by my own actions. What the heck was I doing anyway?

• • •

"Alright, introduce yourselves," Josephine took a step back, folding her arms.

I jeered,
"The name's Sam and I'm not very pleased to meet you."

She didn't seem affected the least by my rudeness for she reciprocated in the same tone,
"I'm Y/n L/n, and same."

"Behave yourselves and begin," Josephine chided.

Y/n nodded and picked up the paper lying on the table, reading it out aloud,
"This states that four wild demons have been spotted near the Grace Field premises. According to the regulations of the farm, this is highly intolerable. I request you to investigate further and execute all four of them."

I unclenched my jaw,
"Noted."

• • •

"Draw a layout of the premises and how you plan to capture the demons," Josephine commanded.

Y/n slid the blank page towards her, clutching her pen in between her fingers. She began by drawing a circle in the center and another circle on the inner side of it. She jotted down a pattern on the line that connected the inner circle to the outer one.

•   • • •   - • - •   • -   • - - •   •

I squinted my eyes, attempting to discern the kind of pattern used. I sucked in a sharp breath when I registered what it meant.

Morse code...

"E-s-c-a-p-e... how...?" I whispered under my breath.

She began to move her pen around again, halting after a few seconds.

- • • •   • - • •   • -   • • •   -

"B-l-a-s-t... blast? Is that even possible?" I furrowed my brows.