Chapter 4

Despite what happened during the party, Akashi did not bring up the topic to her after seeing her in student council in the morning and seeing her in class.

Of course, they don't usually talk.....at all. The anxiety building inside kept eating away her focus in class.

Basketball practice ended and he still didn't bring it up. Mayumi wondered if what she told him stunned him so much that.......he feared her. Although a part of her became prideful of thinking that possibility, the anxiety outweighed the pride.

"Mayumi," she heard him call her name for the first time today. She turned around and looked at him. "Another match, right now."

They were the only two in the gym as everyone else left. After she put her stuff down, she heard him order, "Tell your bodyguard to leave us be."

Mayumi looked at the door seeing her friend waiting for her. Mine heard his order and had a concerned expression on her face. Mayumi ran to her and pulled her out of view.

"You're not seriously considering being alone with him after what happened, right?" Mine asked.

Yumi was quiet for a moment. "I think......" She sighed, "we have to clear that up, I need to find out what he's thinking after what I told him." Although she was uptight towards her decision, she had to know to ease herself up.

Mine was hesitant but accepted her friend's wishes, "I'll be waiting right here."

"Arigatou, NeNe-chan," Yumi left her friend outside and went inside the gym again.

The moment Yumi stepped in the gym Akashi ordered, "Close the door."

Yumi reluctantly closed the door to the gym. "I'll be fine," she mouthed to Mine before closing it. Walking to the court, she asked, "What's the deal this time?"

"If you win, you can quit being the manager of the basketball team."

Her eyes widened hearing him make that deal. First, he wanted her to be the manager as no one else was fit to do so, now he dealing that she can quit? Second, he mentioned her winning deal first..... Yumi knew him well enough that he would win anyway. As he repeated many times, he is absolute. "If you win?"

He passed the basketball to her, "You'll tell me what really happened in the Kayano incident."

Mayumi froze hearing his winning deal. What really happened? She......she couldn't. "The report said-"

"The report is skewed." He interrupted, "That bloodlust look in your eyes tell me that...... the police weren't the ones who did the killing."

She dropped the ball realizing how close he was to the truth. His emotionless stare haunted her. The ball rolled to him, "There is one thing about basketball that seem to bother you," he dribbled the ball and made a three pointer, "it's a certain.....word."

Yumi watched as he got the ball and made his way to the three pointer line. She couldn't move, not even twitch her finger. She heard him continue, "A word used very commonly," he gained another three points, "Shouted repeatedly with the intention of making a person do the action behind the word."

Her knees became weak and fell as the captain got the ball again and easily did a layup. She didn't want to hear more but he kept talking, "Although it means nothing bad in basketball," caught the ball as it fell and did another layup, "The word still has its connotations behind a gun."

He won...... 10 to nothing.

She heard him walk over to her but she couldn't budge. The fear she felt back then two years ago came back to haunt her. All she could see was the people around her holding her at gun point. No matter what she told her self, her body wouldn't move.