44. and you can use my skin to bury secrets in

Start from the beginning

"Mobius," Loki said, cutting his own thought of. "Mobius," he said again, like he needed to say it aloud, not for her but for his own sake. "His name was Mobius,"

"That agent?" She raised an eyebrow knowingly.

Loki nodded. "He wasn't... he wasn't a bad person, you know,"

"I don't think anyone who worked for the TVA was a bad person," Sylvie said, almost like she knew what Loki was hinting at. "Wasn't their fault their lives were stolen, memories robbed away from them, making them think they're someone they're not."

Loki shifted his gaze back towards the journal, the only thing he had left of Mobius.

"What happened to him, if you don't mind?" Sylvie's voice was quieter, gentler.

There was a brief pause from Loki, then he said, "He told me to trust him. And I knew I could trust him. We had... he had a plan, but we were stopped," tears started clouding his vision, he didn't wipe them away. "I didn't do anything to save him,"

"You can't blame yourself --"

"He was the only person, besides my mother, who ever saw good in me. He believed in me when everybody else looked at me and saw only a monster. He was... he was different, Sylvie. He... he made me feel... safe? Loved? I don't -- I don't know, it's all new to me, but no one else made me feel the way he did," Loki smiled, still looking at the journal in his hands. A drop of tear rolled down his face. "And now he's gone,"

I let him die.

Sylvie placed a hand gently on his wrist, she let it stay there for a moment before standing up and excusing herself. Even though Loki didn't say it aloud, she understood he'd rather be alone for now, with Mobius' journal, and Loki was thankful his variant understood that.

When she walked out the door, Loki let his eyes stay on the cover for another long while; the brown leather cover with nothing more than Mobius' initials written in cursive letters, and as crazy as it seemed, for Loki barely knew him, he could almost feel Mobius' present here, even though he knew Mobius was gone. He could almost scent his cologne here, like this, but it was all in his head and Loki knew that.

He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. He didn't know what it was called, the feelings that he was feeling, but his heart rate increased. This was Mobius' journal, even though it felt wrong, if he were to read them, Loki needed to... know him.

He needed to know Mobius, and this was the closest he could get.

Loki reopened his eyes, and opened Mobius' journal.

~~~

They brought in Loki. Ravonna wanted to prune him, but I stepped in. She said I had a soft spot for broken things. Nonsense. I just know I can use him to help catch his variant.

______________________________

Loki wasn't supposed to see any of that, his fate, Thanos, the Statesman, he wasn't supposed to see any of that. A peer told me to show him the footage, I refused him, because I knew it would break him and that he'd already been through enough.

Loki saw it anyway and god, the look on his face just made me want to hug him and, I don't know, offer him comfort. I couldn't do that, of course. But the most I could do was offer him another purpose, to catch his variant.

Poor him. It breaks me, too, to see him hurt. Wish I could at least tell him that he's not alone. I'm here for him.