Chapter 8: Rescue Mission Abort

Artemis's POV

Everyone didn't really have much to do as Superboy and occassionally Kaldur attempted to punch through the wall. Which was super thick.

Megan sometimes levitated rocks chunks and threw them at the hole repeatedly, but it wasn't doing much of anything.

None of our alert signals were working, and Robin said he couldn't get through with his hologlove, but he still had a timer. We have been here for almost five hours now and we were all getting tired.

The room was already really dark and even though our eyes had adjusted long ago, the darkness was still making it hard not to fall alseep.

I had been keeping an eye on Macabre for a while, but she was just playing and comforting little Natalie, who seemed like a completely innocent child.

Megan set up a minklink where Robin and Kid Flash explained that Natalie was the kid that Macabre was giving CPR to when they had arrived at her suspected location.

Whoever kidnapped us must have just taken advantage of Macabre's short, but memorable, encounter with the girl.

I laid on my back with Megan laying next to me on one side and Natalie laying down on my other. Macabre was laying down next to Natalie. The guys were all talking next to Conner.

Said person stopped punching the wall and took a break, after all, he had been at it for almost five hours and we were tired, even though we had just been sitting around.

I heard soft humming coming from Macabre and closed my eyes as I listened to the familiar tune of 'Hush Little Baby.'

She had a really nice hum.

I heard Natalie shift around next to me. I opened my eyes and looked over, she was curled up against the mercenary's side with her eyes closed in a peaceful expression.

I don't remember the exact time that Macabre transitioned between humming and singing softly, but soon enough, Macabre was stroking the little girl's hair while she slept and sung the famous lullaby.

Megan and I hummed along with her before we eventually fell asleep too.

▪️◾◼⬛◼◾▪️

I shot awake as I heard someone cry out. I looked around and saw everyone sitting up or getting up from sleeping positions on the floor. So we had all let our guard down and fell asleep with a murderer!

I looked towards said person and noticed she was missing. Wait...

Missing!?

Natalie was sobbing and Robin ran over to her and crouched.

"Hey, hey. It's okay. What's wrong?" He asked.

"There was this-this man! And he came up through the floor and- and he grabbed Mac and- and he dragged her through!" She explained hysterically before breaking down into tears again.

I immediately had jumped to the conclusion that Macabre had done something while we were asleep, but it was actually Macabre that had been, uh, somethinged!

I looked around and saw similar expressions of guilt on my teammates' faces as Robin calmed the girl down and hugged her.

Megan reopened the dormant mindlink and asked about the man, saying it sounded a lot like a martian ability.