𝙸

𝙹𝚊𝚗𝚞𝚊𝚛𝚢
My mother was born in April and so that is what her mother named her. When I was born in January, that was what my mother named me. January Prince. 

It came as quite a shock for my parents during my first year at Hogwarts when I was sorted into Gryffindor. For my Hufflepuff mother and Slytherin father, they truly never expected me to be sorted there. I was always shy as a small child, keeping mostly to myself. But I loved everyone I met and I always had a smile on my face. 

My father, Alexander, always said that it was a blessing and curse. That I trusted too easily and always saw the best in people, regardless of who they were. I used to believe that it was more of a blessing, but now I see that it is more of a curse.

I remember my first day of classes at Hogwarts, and I thought that I would never survive. I made no friends throughout my whole first year. A smiling face and happy attitude never did me any good, but I promised myself I would always be kind to everyone, no matter what. 

During second year, people started to talk to me more. I don't know if it was the growth spurt or if the universe suddenly decided to be on my side, but my classmates talked to me and I finally got to know most of the students in my year. The Slytherins were hard to win over, but some of them to crack a smile or even laugh at a silly joke. But I still hadn't made any real friends.

When my grandmother on my dad's side died, a grand funeral was held during the summer. The event was so large and festive, it seemed like every witch and wizard on the face of the planet was there. But that was where I met Poppy Weasley, and formed a sort of alliance with her. Both of us were shy and tentative, but being from Gryffindor house, we still had things in common. So, during third year, whenever we needed company, we were there for each other. When she needed a break from her brothers Fred and George—whomshe was a triplet with—I was there for her. Even though she was a year younger, it was still nice to have someone.

Everything changed during fourth year. Harry Potter came to Hogwarts and changed the course for witches and wizards everywhere. Fourth year was also when I had my first kiss. One of my roommates, Flora Allaway, was dared to ask me out on a date and try to kiss me. She succeeded but felt guilty right after and confessed. If anything, I felt bad for Flora. One of our other roommates Aurora Zabini was the one to dare Flora, but I couldn't exactly blame Aurora either. The three of us became acquaintances shortly after the prank, but like Poppy, we never became close friends.

Fifth year went by slowly. I hardly talked to anyone and studying for O.W.L.s took up most of my time and energy. It was, however, the first year of school where I felt unsafe. The Chamber of Secrets had been opened and my parents wrote furiously to try and convince me to leave school. I of course said no, but it didn't stop them from worrying about me. By the end of the year, Poppy took it hard, for her younger sister Ginny was taken into the cryptic chamber. I tried to help Poppy as much as I could, but the girl was consumed with grief once word got out about the youngest Weasley. But like the year before, Harry Potter saved the day and Ginny was saved.

I excelled in Apparition lessons and Alchemy class during sixth year. It was during this time that I fell in love with Defense Against the Dark Arts. Professor Lupin was really one of the best professors the school had ever had, and it was because of him that I decided I wanted to become a curse breaker when I graduated. But, I also loved studying alchemy, and wanted to keep pursuing that as well. Sixth year started off great, but as the year went on, it seemed as if everyone's mood diminished into gloom. After an encounter with a dementor in the early spring, I became overwhelmed with melancholy. It was evident enough that everyone could tell, and even my partner from Slytherin tried his best to cheer me up in potions class. It was suffocating, though, and no remedy seemed to help.

When the year ended and I came back home for the summer, I started to feel like myself again. I know that my parents noticed my change, but they didn't press on about it. With the summer heat, I improved and the sun's warmth broke the dementor's spell. 

At seventeen years old, I came to realize I had never had a girlfriend.

I've only kissed one girl in my life and it was only because she was dared too. All around me it seemed like everyone was finding love. Many relationships sprouted during sixth year, and while many couples broke up, a lot of students went on to date other people as well. I remember countless times when I would walk into my dorm room to find Allegra with a boy or a girl. After a while, my cheeks no longer flushed at the sight, but I always wondered what it was like to be with someone like that.

Don't worry, January, my mother would tell me. You'll find someone.

But it never seemed to happen. 

Despite every wish that I would have an epic romance, I knew in my heart that my last year at Hogwarts would be like all the others. I would only have myself. Every ounce of love in my heart would never be enough and I would end up alone. It isn't a bad thing, however, for I was always my best company. But a part of me always yearned for someone to love, and for someone to love me back.

Birds chirp outside my window as I finish writing the last sentence of my journal. It had taken me all of sixth year and the summer to finish it, but at last, I finished. I stack the journal onto a pile of books beside me stretch in my chair. The weight of research and ideas lifts from me as if a boulder had been crushing me and it was suddenly lifted.

I had developed a design, or concept, or maybe just an introduction into a new type of Chrysopoeia where instead of the transmutation of base metals into gold or silver, the base metals could be transformed into diamonds. It was all theory, but despite the self doubt, I think I actually did it. 

After only one year of taking Alchemy as an elective, Professor Perenelle had said that I was an apt pupil with a gift for the subject. She was really a gift to Hogwarts and someone I looked up too. As a woman and the youngest professor at Hogwarts, she was an expert alchemist and did innovative experiments in Spagyric, also known as plant alchemy. What fascinated me most about her was her uncanny resemblance to the paintings of a younger Perenelle Flamel, and of course the fact that her name is also Perenelle. She is truly one of a kind.

I wander down to the main floor of my family's cottage, stepping purposefully on the staircase so that the certain spots will creak. Footsteps immediately come bounding down the hall and my parents are there in an instant. The creaking of the stairs let them know that I was coming and I know from their smiling faces that they know I finished it.

"You're done early for the day." My mother says eagerly. "Did you finish it?"

I smile widely, glancing between them. "I did."

My mother practically squeals in excitement as I descend the final few steps and they embrace me in their arms. 

It was always this way, the three of us. I was their miracle baby and they cherished me with everything they could give. Both of them had fertility problems and I was their star in a sky of darkness. They were good and pure and innocent, but that only made me scared for them.

Each day, more and more rumors were spreading about twisted theories of You-Know-Who's return. My mother wasn't much of a fighter, but my father ran from his family for love, which put a target on his back. 

But they never raised any concern or worry, so I never spoke up to voice mine.

"I'm proud of you." My father celebrated. His blue eyes sparkled and I knew he meant it.

"Thank you, Dad."

One more week and I would begin my last year of Hogwarts. One more year of lonely solace in which I bide my time, studying for the N.E.W.T.s and applying to internships for the following year. And another year of being single.