spectacular - odesta

Thirteen-year-old Finnick Odair seldom had free time. He was constantly busy at the academy, wielding his trident, or at swim meets, where he and his close friends would race each other in the water. He'd been itching for a chance to walk along the shoreline, something he hadn't had the opportunity to do in a while. There he stood, his swim trunks doing nothing to hide his muscles, as he felt the sand between his toes.

Finally, he was alone at last. No trainers to fight with, no friends to compete with. That was, until, a certain redhead made an appearance.

She was gorgeous, but that wasn't what captured Finnick's curiosity when he'd first met her. Her swimming abilities were beyond even his, and any time they'd race, she'd beat him by a long shot. He was envious of her skill, sure, but he couldn't help but marvel at her expertise.

"Hey, Finnick," she smiled at him. She'd always had an airy quality about her, which made many think she was a bit off in the head, but he didn't mind.

"Hi, Annie. How's things?" He asked her. He normally wouldn't go for such boring small talk, but being around her made him nervous and he lost his usual wit.

"Pretty alright, actually. Me and my mom are planning my birthday party, and it's gonna be... spectacular. Yeah, spectacular!" She grinned, and so he did, too. She was a few months younger than him, so she was still twelve by a couple of weeks.

"My mom's gonna buy a big balloon that says 'thirteen,' and we're gonna hang it up over the pool at my house. All my friends are coming; I'm so excited," she beamed. Finnick was a bit disappointed that he wasn't invited, but it was fine, he supposed. He hadn't had a conversation with Annie in a month or so, seeing as he'd been so busy.

"I'm happy for you, Annie. I'm sure it'll be... spectacular," he smiled halfheartedly. Although he wished he was coming, he was glad she was happy.

They walked in comfortable silence for a while, and all he did was stare at her. Her eyes were a beautiful turquoise that were as bright as the ocean they were walking along. Her hair, God, it was gorgeous, the brilliant auburn color so incandescently exquisite, it made heads turn her way. He loved everything about her appearance, from the billions of freckles that adorned her skin to her unusually small hands.

As they got closer to his house, Finnick knew he'd have to leave her. He reluctantly abandoned her side as he began making his way to his house.

Once he had walked about fifty yards away from her, she hollered out to him.

"Hey, Finnick, wait!" She cried as she ran towards him.

"Yes, Annie?"

"Will you come to my party? I really want you to come, and... it wouldn't be as spectacular without you there," she asked him as she stared at the ground.

The grin on his face appeared instantaneously, and when he embraced her, it didn't feel awkward, it didn't even feel forced. He hugged her as he lifted her up and twirled her around, which made her giggle in delight. He then set her down, the grin never leaving his features.

"I'd love to, Annie. That'd be perfectly spectacular," he beamed, to which she threw her arms around him in response.