"It's Pete!" Madeline exclaimed.

"Pumpkin?"

"Yeah, Pumpkin." Madeline looked at Gwen.

"Well, answer it!" Gwen pushed Madeline's hand with the phone towards her face then sternly addressed her friend. "Madeline. Answer the phone!"

With a pit in her stomach Madeline accepted the call. "P..P..Pete?"

Pete frowned before speaking. "Yes, it's me. I am just at Miguel's bar waiting for him to return with some things for his mother."

"Ah, Miguel?" Madeline frowned.

Gwen looked at Madeline then pulled the phone from her hand and put it on speakerphone and spoke. "Pumpkin, this is Gwen. How is Jeremy?"

"Oh hey, Gwen. Ahhh, I really don't know." Pete paused. "Miguel's mother is a medicine woman I guess. A little strange but I mean he was almost gone." He shrugged and added. "He is alive."

Again Pete said Miguel's name and the two women just stared at each other in disbelief mouthing Miguel's name. Gwen frowned and picked up the cellphone. "Pumpkin, you better not be yanking my chain because I am this close to flying there and kicking your ass!"

Madeline took her phone back and covered the microphone. "What are you doing? Really?" Then she held the phone out and spoke. "Pete?"

In a sarcastic tone Pete responded. "Sounds like Gwen is doing better." But felt confused at this point. "Want to let me in on what I said was so bad?"

Madeline spoke slow and clear. "What is the bar owner's name?"

Pete sighed. "Well, he said his name is Miguel. Miguel Consuelo Rodriguez Garcia." He paused then included the distinguishing difference. "Senior."

Gwen's heart began to race as she grabbed at Madeline's hand. "That's Miggy's father! My Miggy's father!"

"There's a picture of Miguel and his son behind the bar." Pete recalled.

"Is his son there, Pumpkin? Is he there?" Gwen's excitement grew.

"Hang on, I will ask Miguel's employee." Pete left the cellphone plugged in and walked to the bar. "Perdóneme. Esa foto de ahí con Miguel." Excuse me. That photo there with Miguel. He pointed at the photo.

"Si. ¿Qué pasa con eso?" What about it? The man behind the bar asked.

"¿Dónde está su hijo? ¿Está el aquí?" Where is his son? Is he here?" Pete asked knowing it was important to Gwen.

"Si!" Yes. The man answered as he pointed to an urn with Miguel Junior's ashes.

"Oh." Pete raised an eyebrow as he thanked the man behind the bar.

Pete scratched his head as he returned to the table. He sat and chose to finish a beer before speaking. "Hey Gwen."

"Pumpkin?" Gwen spoke slowly.

"Ah." Pete took a deep breath. "Hmmmm." He stalled.

Gwen had enough of Jeremy's friend. "Pete Riddell, tell me if Miguel is there. Now!"

The two women heard Pete take another deep breath. "This is a two part answer so..."

Madeline and Gwen both frowned then looked at the phone waiting to hear Pete's voice complete his thought. "Miguel Consuelo Rodriguez Garcia is here but...he...is not among the living."

Madeline watched Gwen freeze in time. Her Miggy was dead and her heart seemed to explode into a million pieces as the mother of three grabbed at her heart.