Chapter Twenty Four

Start from the beginning

Hero followed him into the library, closed the door and walked to the table that held the decanter and glasses. “Please be seated. I asked you in here this evening because I have something of great importance to discuss with you.”

“I understand.” Felix sat down in one of the chairs that faced the hearth and stretched out his legs. “You wish to inquire into the nature of my intentions toward Anne. I assure you, they are entirely honourable.”

“Of course they are. For fucks sakes, man, that is the least of my concerns. You are one of the most honourable men I have ever known in my entire life.”

Felix seemed oddly embarrassed but quite gratified by that remark. “Why, thank you. The sentiment is entirely reciprocated, as I’m sure you know.”

Hero nodded brusquely and picked up the two glasses he had just filled. He handed one to Felix. “I am pleased to see Anne looking so happy, and I comprehend that you are the reason.”

Felix relaxed and took a sip. “I consider myself a very fortunate man. I did not think that I would ever meet another woman I could love after I lost Elizabeth. It is not often that life gives us a second chance, is it?”

“No.” Hero reflected briefly. “You two make an excellent match, do you not? You read novels and Anne writes them. What could be more ideal?”

Felix choked and sputtered on his brandy. “You know about her career as an author?”

“Certainly.” Hero sat down across from him.

“She thinks that you are unaware that she writes for the Minerva Press under the name of Mrs Anne Mallory.”

“Why is it that everyone assumes that I do not know what is going on in my own family?” Hero began. He broke off at the sight of a narrow strip of pale blue ribbon lying on the carpet near the sofa.

It was one of the blue satin garters Josephine had used to secure her stockings.

He stood quickly

Felix frowned. “Something wrong?”

“Not at all. Just thought I’d prod the fire a bit.”

He grabbed the poker, made a couple of desultory stabs at the crumbling embers and then moved leisurely back to his chair, taking a path that brought the toe of his boot very near the garter.

“I did not ask you in here to discuss Anne. What I wish to discuss with you is the status of my inquiries. There has been another murder.”

“Never say so.” Felix paused in the acting of taking a swallow of brandy. His heavy brows came together in a bushy line above his nose. “What the fuck are you talking about, man?”

Hero took advantage of the moment of acute distraction. Using the toe of his boot, he nudged the garter out of sight under the sofa. It was still visible if one knew where to look, but it was unlikely that Felix would get down on his hands and knees to survey the carpet for signs of recent debauchery.

Satisfied that he had done all he could to conceal the evidence, Hero continued back to his chair.

“I found Zach shot to death this evening.”

“Fucking hell, man.”

Hero sat down. “The situation has grown considerably more dangerous. I am going to need your help, Felix.”

Josephine

Josephine heard the knock on her bedchamber just as she got herself free of the domino and gown. Anne.

“One moment,” she called.

She stuffed the gown and costume out of sight in the wardrobe, seized her wrapper and pulled it snugly around herself. She yanked the pins from her hair, plopped a white cap on her head and removed her earrings.

A glance in the mirror assured her that she looked like a woman who had just been summoned from her bed.

She opened the door, hoping that Anne would not notice that she was breathing rather quickly for someone who had been asleep.

But Anne did not look as though she was in a mood to pay attention to extraneous details. She radiated anxiety.

“Are you all right?” Josephine asked, alarmed.

“Yes, yes, I am fine, but I must speak with you.”

“Of course.” Josephine stood back to allow her into the room. “What is wrong?”

“It is Hero. He has taken Felix into his library for a private conversation.” Anne paced nervously back and forth in front of the dresser. “I am terrified that he is going to force Felix to declare his intentions.”

“I see.”

“I reminded Hero that I am a widow and therefore have every right to a private life with a gentleman, regardless of his intentions.”

“Indeed.”

“But you’ve known Hero long enough now to realize that he is inclined to take charge of one’s life, whether or not one wishes him to do so.”

“Yes, well, if it makes you feel any better, I think I can assure you that Felix’s intentions toward you are not the subject of the conversation that is taking place downstairs in the library.”

Anne stopped her pacing and turned to face her with a questioning expression. “Are you certain?”

“Quite certain. Perhaps you had better sit down. It is a long story that begins with George Tiffin’s murder.”

“Dear heaven.” Anne sat down quite abruptly on the dressing-table chair.

Hero

Felix left, a man committed to a noble cause, some thirty minutes later. Hero saw him out the door and locked it behind him. He turned down the lamps in the front hall and made his way back to the library.

Inside the long chamber, he went to the sofa, crouched on one knee and reached for the blue garter.

He picked up the damning bit of ribbon and got to his feet. For a moment he studied the garter coiled in the palm of his hand. It was delicate and enticingly feminine. He could feel himself getting aroused all over again, just looking at the thing. He recalled how he had coaxed it off Josephine’s leg so that he could lower her stocking.

He would never walk into this room again without remembering what had happened here this evening, he reflected. Making love to Josephine had wrought some change in him that he could not yet describe, but he knew that it had affected him very deeply.

Whatever happened in the future, he would never be the same man that he had been before this night.