MEMOIRS OF HAVAS [18]

Mulai dari awal

"Save us?" Warren laughed, though he felt no humour. "You've damn near wiped us off the face of the planet."

"We didn't mean to!"

"Well, you'll soon learn, kid, that even accidents have consequences." He stared them down. "You're titans, aren't you?"

They exchanged an uneasy glance between themselves.

Warren was treading on dangerous territory. Nothing was stopping these kids from turning into giant monsters and swatting him like a fly. He needed to play his cards right, make himself indispensable.

Otherwise... they'd kill him now, or worse, leave him to rot.

"So what if we are?" Annie's voice was low.

"Tell me, who the hell gave four kids this kind of power?"

"What does it matter?" she snapped.

"If memory serves, you said you were on orders to rescue Havasians, hm? How will your superiors react when they hear about that crater you left in Ingreed?"

Warren couldn't mistake their expressions. Fear. Somehow, even on his minimal information, he'd found a weak point. These kids were scared, terrified even that they'd disobeyed orders— the perfect angle for him to exploit.

Annie composed herself. "You sure talk a lot for a man with no allies."

"Just a talent of mine," Warren cracked a scheming smirk. "And I have allies. I'm going to work with you."

"How can you say that...?" Marcel asked softly. "We've destroyed your home, killed all your friends. And now you want to be allies?"

"Forgive and forget, right?"

"You're insane."

"Maybe." The kid was right; he was out of his head. But morals were a luxury only the rich could afford to keep. "Look, I want to help you. But you have to let me."

"You don't care about helping us. You just want to save your own ass," retorted Annie.

"Is that so unreasonable?"

"You're a liar."

"Sweetheart, I'm a politician, okay? I'm not above lying to get what I want."

A silence passed between the group. The four of them looked between each other, hesitant, but he was making progress.

This was sort of ridiculous. Here Warren was, bartering for his life with a bunch of twelve-year-olds while standing over the bodies of his fallen friends.

If only Lorelai could see you now, you pathetic fool, thought Warren glumly.

Still, he was just on the cusp of some sort of deal.

"Look, I don't know what you're planning on telling your superiors. But your mission was to bring Havasians back, right? So, take me."

"...You want us to take you to Marley?"

"Sure. I'll make up some bullshit excuse about why my country is rubble. Maybe we can blame it on those idiots inside the Walls— they're always a good scapegoat, I find."

Reiner's eyes twinkled. This man could save them.

The rest of the group was not so convinced— it was too good to be true. Still, if Warren did what he said he would, they wouldn't be eaten.

Annie crossed her arms. "What's in it for you? Why would you cover for the people who destroyed your home?"

"This island really isn't doing it for me anymore. I'd appreciate a ride to the next available continent, thank you."