One

Amanda Pov

Sammy had been going to Kindergarten for 6 months now, (though it genuinely felt like it was only yesterday that she even started), and even though she was really worried about making friends, she made loads of friends that I struggle to keep up with them all honestly, (she definitely got that from Danny though as I'm shit with people).

The sun was shining, the weather felt like it was properly Spring rather than the teasing that it had been doing, (yes, a season can tease you with it's weather, fucking sue me), Sammy was ecstatic about going to the park, (though that's just kid's for you in general), and her enthusiasm was just so infectious, (that might be weird but I'm not going to lie to you here).

"Momma"
"Yeah Baby"
"Can we go on the swings please"
"Sure we can Baby"
"Yes!"

She was just so excited about the swings that I couldn't ever say no, (even if I sometimes got mini heart attacks when she's on them), it was just so endearing to be around, (and I know that 6 year old me that was already in care would have been really happy about this, so that definitely influenced my decision on it a bit).

Anyway we got to the park, and it was empty, (no shock there though), it was like stupidly early for most people to be up and about here, (I'm not most people when it comes to my sleep though as I'm a bloody insomniac here Darling), but it wasn't dark out so I took an opportunity to avoid people, (though I know that it wouldn't help Sammy's social skills in the long run, but I also find it hard to talk to other Mums here).

Us being out and about this early would also almost guarantee Sammy going to sleep early that night, (though maybe I just passed on my insomnia and that's why she doesn't sleep all that well, but who bloody knows though), and so we went back home and had breakfast, (as ya do here).

"Momma"
"Yeah Baby"
"Can we have waffles for breakfast please?"
"Sure we can, go wash your hands for me, ok"
"Ok Momma"

So we had breakfast, as you do, (look don't rely on me if we need a police sketch or anything like that, as vivid details are something that I struggle with), it was quite peaceful, considering there was an awake 5 year old, (as they're not exactly known for their ability to be quiet here), so after breakfast we were just sitting on the couch in the living room, (as ya do I guess).

"Momma"
"Yeah Baby"
"Why does the weather get cold if it just gets back to being warm again?"
"Well that's to do with how the world spins around the sun Darling"
"Momma, how does the world spin around the sun?"

Yeah I really should've thought about that question before actually saying that to her, but at the same time, it's something that she needs to learn about, so I wasn't too phased by it, (well compared to other things in my life), but I really did need to watch what I say around Sammy though, (not that I'm good at watching anything that comes out of my mouth for anyone).

"Well, you know that there is day and night?"
"Yes!"
"Good, ok, so we have day and night because the world spins, we have seasons, because the world spins on it side"
"What are seasons?"
"Ok, you know how the weather changes from it being hot to being cold and then back to being not as cold"
"Yeah!"
"Well that's how the seasons change"

I genuinely don't know how I talked myself out of a giant hole, but I was fucking grateful that it made sense to my then 5 year old, because I don't think that I could've come up with better explanations than I did then if I'm being completely honest with you here, (which I am).

"How many seasons are there?"
"There's 4 seasons Darling, there's Spring, which is the season that we're in, there's Summer, which is usually when it's really hot, there's Autumn, which Daddy calls Fall and all the leaves fall off the trees, and then there's Winter, when it gets really cold"
"That's so cool Momma"
"You think so Baby?"
"Yeah!"
"Ok Baby"

I was glad that Sammy was curious about the world around her, but I feel like there will be a day where I can't answer her questions as she's just so smart, (especially for a then 5 year old), as I don't feel like I'm smart, (though Danny would disagree with me on that but I don't think that I'm smart at all, regardless of what he says).