Chapter 9 - The Text

Start from the beginning

The bridal shop was situated in the old building between a cozy café and the jeweler's. Its front was all white with a lilac sign "Gelinin Rüyası Elbisesi". Ezgi thought it was a mouthful. The interior was in the same color palette with a sprinkle of silver and plush red sofas. The consultant welcomed her and Deniz and offered them champagne, but both asked for tea instead. Ezgi knew very well what she was looking for.
- I want V-neck with spaghetti straps and flowy skirt. - She described it to the girl who enthusiastically nodded her head.
- I think I have something perfect for you. - She assured. - I will be right back.
Deniz walked up to the shelves and picked up a tiara. It was sparkly and big and could easily rival any of the royal tiaras still worn today. She walked up to the mirror and put it on. It was surprisingly light.
- You should take it - She said jokingly. - Your mom would get her princess after all.
- You're horrible! - Ezgi took the tiara and put it on her head. Both of them immediately burst out laughing. - I look ridiculous!
- You do. Let me put it away.
- Here we are. - The consultant came back with three dresses for Ezgi to try on and led her to the dressing rooms. One of them was occupied by a young girl, who didn't look very happy. Her mother was pushing her to wear a huge ballgown with crystals and ribbons. The girl was drowning in it. Ezgi exchanged a look with her just as the mother put a huge veil on her head. The girl was on the verge of tears. Ezgi lifted her hand and made a fist, showing her to stay strong. The girl nodded and took a deep breath. Ezgi knew she could've easily been in her place. Nevin was as demanding as this woman. A real road roller.
- Which one would you like to try on first? - The consultant was bubbly and very eager. - Now, you said when you called to set up the appointment, that the wedding is in twelve days, but you need the dress in ten. So I chose only from the ones you can get off the rack. If minor alterations will be necessary, we can do them here, but it will cost you extra.
- Tamam. Thank you.
It took Ezgi almost two hours and five dresses in total to find the one she wanted to wear, but once she did, everything else fell into place. All it needed was to be taken in a little in the waist. Deniz watched her mesmerized.
- You look amazing. - She gathered Ezgi's hair and put it up. - How are you going to do your hair?

Özgür looked at the clock. It was almost 8 pm and he was finally done with work. The events' schedule for the next month for La Gabbia has been approved and if even one of the planned evenings turns out to be as successful as Latino Night, they will be able to breathe a little easier and start thinking about reopening La Laguna.
Knock on the door brought him back to reality.
- Come in. - He gathered the papers and put them away.
- Sevgilim, are you done?
- I just finished. - He grabbed Ezgi's hand and pulled her closer. - How was your day?
- I got the dress and I picked your tux, but you need to go tomorrow to try it on.
- Tamam. - He kissed her hand. - Hungry?
- No, Deniz and I ate in this small café next to the store. It was so cute. The old lady who runs it with her husband has a whole wall of photographs and postcards from all over the world send to her by her clients. I've written down the address. We'll send her a card from Tuscany.
- Fun. Just don't tell Ozan you ate already. You'll hurt his chef's heart.
- I'm sure Deniz will make it up to him. - Ezgi replied with a wicked grin. - Ready to go home?
- Yes, let's go.
Right in this moment, as if waiting for a cue, Özgür's phone lit up with an incoming message and Ezgi glimpsed it on the screen.

Derin: Özgür, call me. We REALLY need to talk.

There was more, but her fiance grabbed the phone and switched it off.
- You're not going to read it? - She asked as he got up and gently pushed her toward the door.
- It's nothing important. Come on.

While Ezgi has gone to Özgür's office, Deniz walked up to the bar. La Gabbia was full this evening. In one corner a large group was celebrating birthday of an older woman. It seemed like her whole family was there, her children and grandchildren. One of them was asleep in a pram, its mother sitting close by, keeping an eye on her little bundle. Deniz ordered rum and coke. She was still full after the dinner she and Ezgi had at the café, but she craved something sweet.
- There you go. - Pablo put a tall glass in front of her. The condensation made it sleek and she nearly dropped it.
- Pablo, how was your day?
- My day? - The bartender looked around surprised. Deniz has frequented La Gabbia for a few months now, but they've never developed the kind of rapport that would make an idle chit-chat a norm.
- Yes, you. - She sipped her drink. It was perfect, not too strong, with just the right amount of lime juice to cut through the sweetness. - This is amazing. Bravo!
- Thank you, ma'am. I added a little bit of cherry juice to amp up the taste. - Pablo was clearly proud of himself.
- Well, good decision. Stick to it. I'm gonna go find Ozan.
- He's on the patio.
- Thanks.
Deniz took her drink and walked out just to see her boyfriend sitting at the table with a gorgeous woman. She had long, wavy hair color of which reminded her of coffee, her smile was bright and her eyes, even in the shade, had the color of summer sky during the day. Deniz could've sworn it was Ayça Ayşin Turan. But it couldn't be, right? Ozan looked around, as if he felt her presence and when he noticed her, smile appeared on his lips.
- And here is my Deniz. Darling, come. - He got up and kissed her cheek. - Deniz, this is Ayça. I catered a few of the events she frequented over the years. That's how we met.
- Nice to meet you. - Deniz shook her hand and took a chair Ozan pulled out for her.
- Ayça wants me to cater her event next May. - Ozan explained. - She's starting a charitable foundation with a couple of her friends and May is the planned inauguration date.
- That is amazing. What's it gonna be about?
- At first we'll focus on the older people, we want to help provide the nursing homes with necessary equipment and training for the staff. In a couple of years we plan to expand to help the orphanages as well.
- This is amazing. - Deniz was truly in awe. - My grandmother was sick and we were unable to care for her. Nursing home was where she'd spend the last couple of years of her life but finding one that would be good was so difficult.
- Lack of funding, unfortunately. Right now we're looking for a new lawyer. The one we had on board decided he wants more money and we were already paying ridiculous amount.
- Who represented you, if I may ask?
- Burak Bayrak.
- Oh. - Deniz cringed internally. She knew his reputation and it was not a good one. The man was an intimidating shark in the courtroom because he had no heart, but apparently outside of it he was even worse. Her old boss hated the man with all of his heart.
- You know him? - Ozan noticed her raised eyebrow and the way she suddenly straighten in her chair.
- Not personally. - Deniz admitted. - But let's just say it's a good thing you're letting him go. - She looked at Ayça.
- Yeah. But now we're left without representation. You wouldn't happen to know a good lawyer, would you? With all the money the foundation is gonna deal with, we need someone trustworthy with impeccable reputation.
- I know someone. - Ozan took Deniz's hand. - Deniz just opened her own firm after working for a few years for Mr. Sengezer. She's already taking care of La Gabbia and La Laguna.
- Really? I heard great things about Mr Sengezer. - Ayça finished her tea. - Why did you leave?
- Ercüment bey is a great lawyer and I learned a lot from him, but he expected me to give up everything for the job. And as I learned not that long ago, life is more than just work. - She smiled at Ozan and for a moment the world fell away.
- Ekhem... You guys are cute. You could seriously play a couple in a dizi. - Ayça took out her phone and pushed it toward Deniz. - Put your number in. I will call you and we'll discuss this further. Now I need to go. Gotta be on set in half an hour. I hate night shooting, but what can you do? - She got up and when Deniz gave her back the phone, she winked at them. - Bye, darlings.
The actress left the restaurant, pretending she didn't notice patrons looking at her and whispering. At the door she was approached by a woman asking for a selfie. Ayça obliged with a kind smile, then once again waved to Deniz and Ozan through the window and disappeared.
- Allah... - Deniz finally breathed and looked at her boyfriend. She's never seen him looking so proud. - Did this really just happen?
- It did. Congratulations!
- Well, too soon for that. They may not want to hire me.
- They will. Once they speak to you and see how professional you are, they will not let you go. - He got up and pulled her into his arms.
- Ozan, thank you! Thank you! Thank you! - She kissed his cheek and laughed. The future of her one-person law firm suddenly started looking brighter.