i. all of my enemies started out friends

Start from the beginning

"And what would you like the prize to be?" He shot back, amusement dancing in his gold eyes.

"I happen to be in need of a date for this evening's ball your father is throwing." Leyha stated, twirling the arrow with it's tip tinted red in her hand as if it was a toy, "And Mai may have mentioned the amount of girls you shot down when they asked you, so I may as well just shoot my shot now and get it over with."

The two of them had a very open and flirty relationship despite them being best friends due to years of training both firebending and fighting as partners.

They have always tippy-toed around their feelings. They both knew what the other was feeling but never wanted to cross that thin line between a romantic and platonic relationship relationship.

"It would be an honor." Zuko answered smoothly, although there was a visible blush flooding up his neck and to his cheeks at her usual boldness.

Just as the words escaped his lips, the training room doors opened and a guard walked inside, giving the pair a once over before his eyes settled on the young prince.

"Sorry for the disturbance my Prince." He apologised coldly, "Your father requested your presence in his chambers."

An annoyed sigh escaped Zuko's lips but he nodded nonetheless, "Thanks."

Just as he went to follow the guard outside and to his father's chambers, he heard Leyha call after him and he could practically hear the grin in her voice.

"Pick me up at eight. And don't be late!"

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Azula had always been ── to put it lightly ── a bit of a spoiled brat.

She was three years younger than her older brothers Zuko and Tenzin. Still, she acted like she was the oldest. She always threw a temper tantrum whenever anyone ── especially Zuko ── would try and tell her what to do. Everyone always either tried to please her however they would or just stayed out of the way.

That was why Leyha never argued when Azula demanded they get ready for the Palace Balls in Azula's big room, which was right next to her own.

"What do you think about this one?" Azula asked with a childish smile on her face as she paraded around her walk in closet, already dressed up in her one of a kind red gown. She was holding up a golden mask with silver feathers sticking out on the side.

"It looks amazing with that dress." Leyha told her genuinely, giving her a soft smile before pulling out a light red lipstick out of Azula's vanity so she could apply it.

It's not that Leyha did not like the Fire Nation Princess ── it was quite the opposite really.

Azula was like an older sister to her despite the fact that she was younger. While Leyha usually only opened up to people she knew for a while, Azula was a lot bolder and outgoing than her which made them just work. Azula was like her protector in that palace.

"Ty Lee mentioned that Zuzu invited you to the ball. Honestly I did not think he had it in him." Azula gushed, her words making Indra look at her through the mirror.

Clearing her throat, the older girl smiled sheepishly, "Actually, I asked him."

"Wow." Azula exclaimed with a big surprised grin, "Way to go, Ley. I knew you would be the one who was going to wear the pants in the relationship. I just thought that after all the convincing Ty Lee did earlier ── "

"Azula." Leyha interrupted her, her words followed by a huffed out laugh of disbelief, "I told you to stop meddling with Zuko and I's──" her eyebrows furrowed as she tried to think of the word she could use, "stuff."