chapter thirty eight

Start from the beginning

"Jeremy!" Aspyn cheers as we walk in.

"Girls! It's been a while." Jeremy, the manager, greets us. "Will it be the usual today?"

"Yes, please." we both say at the same time.

"Alright, I'll have it out in a bit." he says as we walk over to our table.

Another worker brings us some water, and soon enough our rolls are sitting right in front of us. I tear open the chopsticks wrapper, quickly pulling them apart and ready to devour the early dinner. Despite it being her favorite food, Aspyn has yet to learn how to use chopsticks, so I give her shit for it every time we are here.

"It's been a month, Penny." I scrutinize. "You still don't know how to properly eat sushi?"

"Oh shut up and eat your damn roll." she rolls her eyes.

I eat a piece, taking a second before starting our conversation back up.

"So... what's been up around here?" I ask.

"Nothing much. A few house parties, but nothing that you were missing out on."

We would always tag team at parties, never once being defeated in a good old game of beer pong. We had a system; she would drink the cups while I focused and made every shot. We were pretty notorious.

"Anything going on tonight? It's the last night of summer." I asked.

"Nah, people probably won't be able to go out since everyone has to wake up for school in the morning." she responds. "But, please. Tell me more about your boy."

I instantly smile at Harry's reference, missing his presence also. I feel the same way as I did when I was talking to Grams a few weeks back. Harry is just indescribable. A force of nature.

I sit there for a few seconds, racking my brain for the right words to say. As I opened my mouth to speak, she cut me off.

"I want to know all the details. I already know the basics about him, since I've already found him on every social platform." she says, causing both of us to erupt into a giggle fest.

She really should be a part of the FBI. She has a talent for this sort of thing. Whenever we would go to football or basketball games, she would have the roster of the other team pulled up by halftime, and already know basically everything there was to know about all of the cutest players.

"Um..." I think for a second longer. "His favorite The 1975 song is Be My Mistake."

"Wait," she gasps. "Isn't that like... your favorite song by them?" She raises an eyebrow.

"Yeah," I laugh. "We found that out about each other one night while we overlooked a cliff."

Her jaw releases, allowing to hang open. "I swear you were living in a movie."

I laughed again. "It sure felt like it."

"Tell me more! Tell me more!" she quoted a song from her favorite movie, Grease.

"He took me on a boat, and we slow danced under the stars." I said, smiling at the memory.

She hit her palm on the table dividing us. "I am sooo jealous."

"Okay, okay," I waved her off. "Enough about me. Any boys you have your eye on? Is Collin still around?" I ask, remembering the boy she was trying to get with before I left.

"That's actually what I wanted to tell you about." her features slipped a bit.

I furrowed my brows, wondering what she was going to say.