21 - Guards

It's been two weeks.

It's been two weeks since I've seen Griffin.

Two weeks since I've kissed my mate, two weeks since I've heard him call me his little light.

This fight to find the rogues who were after me was taking so long. Rogues were vicious creatures. They were lone wolves, those removed from packs for acts of prolific immorality. They mostly roamed the lands outside of pack boundaries, a sort of 'no-mans-land,' searching for something to satisfy their need for physical contact, whether kidnapping, rape, or murder. Occasionally they had to be dealt with by a kingdom, but usually, they kept to themselves and away from pack boundaries, thus avoiding the Alpha's wrath.

The strange thing was that these rogues were banding together to pursue my power.

Now that Griffin marked me, their desire for me wasn't as strong because Griffin would be able to know my location, but I still was of great value because of my current AlphaLuna position.

I have it narrowed down to three people in the running to be Alpha of Frostclaw. First in my lineup was Damir. He was a strong warrior, and I knew he felt confined to his role as Delta in Riverkeepers. He would fit well as the Alpha of Frostclaw. Second on my list was Dallas, their current beta. He already had a mate, and they were already doing a lot of the Alpha work. Some people in Frostclaw were concerned about his ability to lead because both Dallas and Lily were introverted and didn't interact with the pack members outside of their duties. Finally, my cousin Ethan was in the running. He was involved highly in the activities of Frostclaw and was a great warrior and leader.

"Alena, time to get up, sleepyhead." Calliope's voice filled my ears, but she already knew I was awake. I was having trouble sleeping, and the royal family doctor had prescribed me sleeping medicine, but it didn't do much to help. I rolled out of bed and stretched. I didn't want to face this day, but I needed to.

Today could be the day that I got the all-clear from Griffin, and I wouldn't need to live in fear of a rogue around the corner anymore. I walked to the closet and dressed in a sweater and skinny jeans. The weather had begun to shift in late autumn, and it was starting to get cold. I was hoping that Griffin would be home for the first snowfall, but the weather forecast for today said otherwise.

I pulled my hair into a ponytail and washed my face, quickly joining Calliope in my living room. She had spent the past two weeks sharing my cabin, keeping me company, and working virtually with her pack to make sure everything ran smoothly.

I knew she was itching to get back to them in person, but I selfishly wanted her to stay until Griffin returned.

I took my coffee mug from her hand and sipped it, heading toward the door. I didn't take much time to hang out in the living room much anymore. I rarely even ate. Calliope and Sloane had to force me to eat dinner most days, and they always made sure I was hydrated.

Sloane was quickly at my side as I stepped to the door, and I walked alongside her.

"How long is it to walk to the training center?" I asked, looking away from the car.

"20 minutes in human form. 10 in wolf. 5 by car." She sighed. "You're expected in the office in 15."

"We can take the car there, but we need to walk home. I need the fresh air." I climbed in the back seat of the car and stared out the window, watching the trees as we passed.

"I know it's tough for you, Alena. If you need anything, let me know," Sloane said from the front seat. I learned that her mate was also a royal warrior, and he was pursuing the rogues with Griffin.

The Value of A Name - One Delta's Journeyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें