Prologue

Jennifer's POV

It had been some time since I heard from Khalil. Not that I was really expecting to since that night on the roof. Part of me feels guilty because he should be celebrating today too. Something feels bitter-sweet about all this. 

I looked at myself dressed in my blue and gold Garfield high cap and gown. After everything that's happened in Freeland, it feels a bit surreal, to say the least, to be at this point.

"Jen, we have to leave in 5 mins!" my mom shouted from the other room. "Okay" I replied back. I think my mom was more excited about graduation than I was. She convinced me to apply to some summer programs with a few of the universities nearby. So I wasn't going to have much downtime before I start my Fall semester at Bowman. 

I could hear my mother rustling around making sure she had everything before we headed to the school. My dad had to be there earlier to help facilitate the graduation and everyone else was meeting us there. I could hear my mom's shoes clanking down the hall and her car keys jingled in her hand. She caught a glance of me while headed towards the stairs. She peeped her head in. "Look at my little girl," My mom walked in giving me that cringey mom smile. "You're not so little anymore." She told me.

"Mom, please..no sappy mother-daughter talk before graduation. It's so cliche". 

My mom grins "Too bad". She stands behind me as we both look in my floor-length mirror. She wraps her arms around me. "I'm so proud of you Jennifer. This family has been through a lot and I know things haven't been easy for you. Your father and I have a surprise for you when we get back home." I wasn't big on surprises because I've had way too many in the worst way but I was starting to allow myself to accept all this attention. My mom looked down at her watch.

"Okay, we really have to go. Meet me in the car".She gives me a quick kiss on the cheek and rushes out down the stairs.

I went over to my dresser where I kept a small jewelry box. I opened it revealing a gold heart necklace. It was the one Khalil had given me. I took it out and put it around my neck. Since he couldn't be there  I think a part of me felt like me wearing the necklace would be symbolic in some way. I glanced just one more time in the mirror admiring the necklace. "Perfect". And just like that, I was headed downstairs and out the door. Once I get back I'll be Jennifer Pierce "Garfield  Alumni".