Chapter 23 [FINAL]

Start from the beginning

"She's gone," Lia sobbed. It was all she could get out as the ache spread throughout her again. "She's gone."

Soobin rocked her back and forth until the new storm of tears had abated. Pulling back, she sniffled and smiled at him wanly.

"She'll be back, Lia," he comforted. "I'm sure it was just some silly argument and it'll be fine." Given that she hadn't told him anything about what was going on, it was kind of cute of him to try so hard to make her feel better.

She shook her head. "No, she's really not coming back." The cold flushed through her again. "I'm so stupid."

He brought her chin up with a knuckle and looked at her. "We all screw up, Lia. Doesn't mean we can't make it better. You guys love each other. You'll work it out."

Lia looked at him in utter shock. Did he just say what she thought he'd said? Did he just...? He knew?

"You know?" she shouted.

"Huh?" He looked confused.

"Me and Yeji?"

"Well, yeah, of course."

"But..." Lia shook her head, trying to get some of the fog of surprise to lift. "How? We never told anyone. I never-"

Soobin chuckled. "Lia, I know what you look like when you're in love."

She blushed. "Soobin, I..."

"It's okay. Really. I'm honestly happy for you. You found someone you really love and that's incredible." He pulled her back in to a fierce hug. "All I want is for you to be happy."

And with that, she burst back into tears. "I lost it, Soobin. I was stupid and I lost it."

He soothed her, rubbing her back and murmuring softly until the next wave of tears had settled. Lia figured she must be pretty well dehydrated.

"You can work this out, Lia. I know you can." Soobin smiled and wiped a tear off his ex-wife's face. "You just have to calm down and then work it out. If it's worth it, you'll work it out."

"What if I can't?" Lia whimpered.

"Well, then, at least I can commiserate. I've been there." He grinned. Lia placed a hand on his arm and squeezed, looking pained. "Hey, it's okay. Believe me when I say it gets better. Besides, I have it on good authority that you're pretty lovable, so I think you'll figure it out before it gets to that."

"Oh, and whose authority might that be?" Lia asked, with her first grin of the day.

"My own, of course."

She couldn't help but laugh at that. Leaning her head on Soobin's shoulder, Lia sighed. Somehow he'd gone from husband to loser to best friend without her really paying that much attention to the transition. He might not have done such a great job with the first two, but he was proving to be mighty fine at the third.

"Come on, we're going out for coffee and milkshakes," Soobin said.

"Oh, we can't. I look appalling."

"Well, wash your face and get changed and you won't." He grinned again. "You've got ten minutes and I'm not taking no for an answer." Lia opened her mouth to speak but closed it again when he spoke. "I'm not taking no!" And then she watched him disappear out the door.

Coffee was surprisingly bearable, given that Lia felt like she was being eaten alive from the inside. Soobin was quiet but distracting, understanding but comforting. It was nice. It didn't fill the empty void that was echoing hollowly inside her, but it was nice.