Chapter 6

The night at Yeji's gig must have cemented their friendship because, for the next fortnight, she was around a lot. They just seemed to be spending more and more time together, and it was making Lia's head spin with happiness.

It was so easy to be with Yeji, to laugh and joke and talk about anything and everything. She got along with Elly like a house on fire, too, and the little girl was always excited to see the musician. In fact, the tableau in front of Lia, as she stood at the entrance to her kitchen, was giving her a goofy kind of smile and heart tug.

Yeji was on the floor, legs crossed, with Elly sitting in front of her playing some strange game of patty cake that involved a lot of giggling and tickles. It wasn't lost on Lia that Yeji had spent more time with Elly in the last two weeks than Soobin had in the last year.

She was startled out of her thoughts, and Yeji and Elly were pulled out of their game, by the front door opening suddenly. Looking haggard and a little lost, Soobin came through the door, rubbing his eyes.

He moved into the kitchen like a sleepwalker and was completely oblivious to anyone that was around until Lia handed him a glass of water, since that was what he seemed to be after.

"Thanks, babe," he said woodenly.

"Jesus, Soobin, you look awful." She was worried about him. In her peripheral vision, she could see Yeji rising from the living room rug and brushing down her jeans.

"I'm going to bed." Soobin walked out of the kitchen and came to a halt when he realised that Yeji was standing in his living room looking confused and out-of-place. He had no idea who she was and it showed on his face.

"Soobin, this is my friend, Yeji," Lia introduced them warily.

"Pleased to meet you. Sorry, I'm not myself at the moment." Soobin gave a sideways smile and then moved off to the hallway and the corridor.

Lia gave Yeji a half-shrug in apology for Soobin's rudeness and pulled the tea towel off her shoulder.

"I should get going," Yeji said, shoving her hands in her pockets and looking at Lia in a way the blonde couldn't decipher.

"Don't," Lia frowned in response. "Stay for dinner." She didn't miss the subtle movement of Yeji's head turning slightly towards the bedroom where Soobin slept.

"I can't..." she stuttered slightly as she replied. "I have plans."

They both knew it was a lie, but Lia let it slide. She opened the door for the brunette and, as she walked to go down the stairs, she caught Yeji's elbow and turned her around.

Closing the door gently behind her, she pulled the other girl into her arms and held her, letting the scent from her dark locks float down around her.

She felt Yeji's hands slide around her waist and behind her, and just stood enjoying the last of the evening sunshine in the warm embrace.

Pulling away, she looked into serious chocolate-brown eyes and ran a hand gently over the curve of one perfect cheek. Lia watched as Yeji's eyes drifted closed at the touch and then fluttered open.

"Jisu," she heard the murmur on Yeji's lips.

Then she gently, ever so softy, leant down and brushed her own lips over the brunette's. It was the barest of kisses and over before even the wind had a chance to notice as it whipped up suddenly, leaving a gust of leaves flying around the yard.

"Thank you for being my friend," Lia whispered, and let go of Yeji. The other girl gave her a half-smile and a shrug, and then continued down the path to her car.