Chapter 23: Undercurrent

Start from the beginning

She speaks again. "You have only just taken the throne, Your Majesty. Military decisions are not to be made so hastily."

I fall silent.

I could not do anything even if I wanted to in this situation. I've only just ascended and I don't have enough support. I'm just a puppet who happens to be holding the imperial seal. Any decree still has to have the empress dowager's seal to be effective.

I've had enough of this kind of life—and I've only done this for one day!

Unknowingly, I've been balling up my fists and it's stinging with pain. I wince before changing to a respectful expression. "So from what You are saying, we should just take the disgrace of defeat lying down?"

"Your Majesty, General Zhou died for our country. Such glorious deeds should be announced to the world. Also, the soldiers who sacrificed themselves should be compensated. That is the most important as of now," she explains steadily. "As for the military, You might have a history in the army, but," she pauses on purpose, "it would be best not to push it."

I feel rage burning within but I do my best to restrain myself. "Then what are Your thoughts on our next steps?" I squeeze through clipped lips.

"Oh, but I am just a woman. It would be wise to ask Your subjects, Your Majesty."

I let out a silent scoff and look back to my subjects in the hall. They all have their heads up but their eyes are jumpy. From where I sit, I see them in neat rows but there is no liveliness at all—they all look exhausted. I'm somewhat upset: at this critical time for our country, how could they be this lethargic as the backbones of the government. It cannot go on like this!

As I scan across the rows of people, many lower their heads accordingly. The eyes of many high-ranking officials and nobility stray off elsewhere. In the end, I stop at one person. I clear my throat several times. "Marshal Heng, as the Marshal of Fu Guo, what are your thoughts on the war?"

Hearing this, Heng Ziyu steps forward and gets on his knees dutifully. "In reply to Your Majesty, I will serve the country in whatever way Your Majesty sees fit," he responds calmly.

That stuffs everything I had back down my throat.

Every decree, no matter trivial or important, has to be approved by the empress dowager and be stamped with her seal. What Heng Ziyu just did was passing the buck to me.

"And the rest of you?" I try not to sound enraged.

Silence takes over the hall in an instant, so much so that I can almost hear their hurried breaths. Inhale. Exhale. It's so quiet that time almost seems to freeze solid. Finally, Xie Yun shuffles forth and kneels down after glancing around.

Although I already know what he wants to say, I still ask, "Yes, Minister Xie?"

He kowtows before proceeding. "Your Majesty, the court sky-gazer has studied the stars and referenced the books. He has discovered that the skies to the north of our court have lost their auspice. The only way to preserve our state is to relocate to the south."

After he finishes, it's so quiet I could hear a pin drop. I glare at him out of the corner of my eye, not speaking.

To think he would actually say that out loud.

As for the others' reactions, it was only expected. South Hill Pass isn't going to hold for much longer; the Yan are about to break into the capital. There is nothing on the agenda and everyone is on the edge of their seats. At times like this, the best option would be to run away.

I sigh in my mind. I suppose I can't blame them. It's only natural for humans to fear death and they're not only worried for their own lives but also for their families, from the elders to the children, and their future.