Chapter Two: The Child and The Father

It has been two years since Tanjiro had become a demon. But he was different. He only ate people who sinned and deserved to die. Unlike other demons, who kill and eat without care. Ever since Tanjiro became a demon, he has been able to smell peoples past, sins,  emotions, etc. He uses this to his advantage to throw the enemy off guard. But...Tanjiro had always left the demon slayers alone. Not because he fears them, but because he knows that they have their personal reasons behind being the way they are. "And that's...meal number 12567!", Tanjiro exclaims. "Mmm...still hungry...guess I can have one more meal before sun up." Tanjiro zooms out of a house and sits on top of a temple in a small town. He sniffs the air and catches a scent. "Hmm...this scent...killed wife...abused child...scammed many...murdered about 16 civilians...abused the poor. Perfect.", Tanjiro said as he descended to a tall house, usually a house the rich would live in.

As he entered through a window he found a another scent. The smell of blood and tears. He quietly went to a little girls room, asleep with a large scar bleeding down her face. She had black hair, teal eyes and wore a flowery kimono. "Her scent is pure, yet covered in sorrow.", Tanjiro said in a sad tone. He heard walking. One person. The father. Tanjiro left the child's room and charged at the father as he got up to the second floor of the home. The father wore a orange kimono with black vines starting at the bottom up to his chest. He had black hair like his child. "W-WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?!", the father shouts. "Quiet. I wish not to up you lovely child.", Tanjiro says. "W-Wait. Y-You're that demon w-who's been k-killing c-criminals all over the place, right? Please! Take my daughter instead! She worthless anyways!", the father said, begging on his knees. Tanjiro, angered by father's response, slits his throat by quickly scratching his neck. "Let that teach you that family is the most important thing you have.", Tanjiro says. Because of his family's death, Tanjiro gets a bit personal when it comes to eating people in families. He devours the father. He walks to the daughters room, and the child is still asleep. "I can't leave her here....", Tanjiro says. He picks up the girl and prepares to leave through the window. "Don't worry, she'll be safe with me and the other orphans!", Tanjiro says to the darkened hallway. He leaves with the girl.

"How did he know I was here?"