A Broken Road- 17

Start from the beginning

That’s happened a lot throughout the week. Somehow, whether it be a clumsy fall or a misjudgment of space, our faces came close to contact more than normal. And when this happened, I could feel the tense silence and I could see the intensity that invaded Alex’s light brown eyes and turning them into a dark, menacing chocolate brown. That intensity had the power to make me tremble and the only conclusion I can come up with is that I had formed a tiny, weensy eensie crush on Alex Carter.

Neither of us spoke as we just laid there, with me awkwardly resting on top of him and just staring at each other. I jumped slightly when I felt his fingertips brush along my temple, tucking a piece of stray hair behind my ear. His fingers lingered on my skin, sending a fiery feeling rolling into my stomach as he moved his hand to tangle in my hair. At first, I wondered what he was doing, but when I saw his eyes flicker down to my lips, I found it obvious what he was going to do. My brain ached for me to put an end to this and run away, but none of my body parts were responding to my brain because I stood statue still as I noticed our faces growing closer and closer, both because he was leaning up and I was ducking down.

Our lips brushed against each other achingly slowly, but just when I was about to finally do the deed, my phone binged with a new text.

I flung myself off of Alex’s body like he was diseased as I grabbed my phone from the nightstand where it laid. My savior turned out to be Kelly.

Are you going to the bonfire tonight?

I tried texting her back, but my hands were so jumpy and erratic, that I couldn’t push the right buttons on my screen so I decided to attempt that later and right now, try to tackle another issue: The huge awkward silence in the room.

“It was Kelly.” I mumbled, almost breathlessly as my face burned red and I decided that I should lay back down to get my head to stop spinning. “About the bonfire tonight.”

“Are you going?” Asked beside me, seemingly unfazed by our previous mishap.

I shook my head even though he probably couldn’t see me since he was most likely looking up at the ceiling like I was. “No, I’m just going to stay home and relax.”

Alex chuckled softly. “Like you do every day?”

“Exactly.” I said with a small smile. “Anyway, Tim Burton.”

“He’s okay.” Alex said.

“Are you kidding?!” I shrieked. “The man’s a genius!”

He rolled his eyes. “Edward Scissorhands and Sweeney Todd are really his only good movies. Sorry, cupcake.”

“No way. There’s Alice in Wonderland, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Batman, and the list continues. You have no idea what you’re talking about.” I defended.

He smirked at me and I could tell that we were back to normal after the awkward almost-kiss. “Whatever you say.”

“Right, so you should go get ready for whatever you’re doing tonight.” I told him, seeing that it was eight and he told me earlier that Danny was picking him up at nine.

“I’ll cancel and we can hang out.” Alex said simply. “I didn’t really wanna go anyway, Jesse’s going and she kind of freaks me out.”

In a desperate attempt to lighten the mood, I stood up from the bed and smiled. “Well, since we’re both blowing off our friends, we might as well do something special tonight instead of lazying around the house like potatoes.”

“Like what?” Alex asked curiously.

I grinned at him. “We’re going swimming, go get dressed.”