III. children and their curses

The inside of the abandoned building was no different than the appearance on the outside

The inside of the abandoned building was no different than the appearance on the outside. It was filthy. The concrete walls of the place were grimy. Dust, and who knows what, made it stained with dark grey spots. The doors were also in the same filthy condition.

Itadori roamed around the inside of the abandoned office building as if he were a spy. He would stealthily lean against the wall and open a door slowly to peer inside. Kugisaki, on the other hand, stomped across the halls. Her footsteps echoed in the hallways. Haruki observed that her stance was still filled with confidence.

"What a pain in my ass," the ginger complained. "I come all the way to Tokyo and I still have to deal with these dumb curses."

"Huh? You didn't come here to exorcise them?" Itadori followed with Haruki behind him.

Kugisaki turned around, ignoring his question, "Let's save some time. The three of us should split up. I'll start from the top and investigate floor by floor, and you start at the bottom with Amari. Let's knock this out and grab some sushi from Ginza~"

"Hold on a minute, let's take this seriously. Curses are dangerous, you know."

Haruki noticed Kugisaki's body twitch and knowingly stepped to the side. Just like she thought, kugisaki went back down the steps to kick Itadori. While she landed perfectly where he was standing before, he spun around and fell down.

She yelled, "I don't want to hear it from someone, who last week, was a clueless normie! Now get moving!"

"You're a roller coaster of emotions today!" Itadori insulted as Haruki helped him up.

"This is why girls don't like you!" Kugisaki shouted back.

Itadori looked in the direction of the stairs, "There is a girl who likes me! You know what, she loves me actually! Are you even popular enough to talk? ...Bitch."

Haruki raised her brows at the name Itadori had called Kugisaki, "If she heard that, she would've come running back down."

"I know," the boy deflated. "But hey, I wasn't lying! You love me, right?"

The girl looked down at him from the steps. His hopeful eyes stared back at her, awaiting a response. Instead, Haruki walked down the steps and past him with a neutral expression.

"Don't get caught up on personal feelings while on a mission," she stated.

He pouted, "But-"

"Watch out."

At her warning, both teenagers swiftly dodged the sharp arms that were swung their way. A curse had come down from the ceiling, and it revealed its nail-shaped teeth to them while it stuttered. When it came to attack again, Haruki stepped back so that Itadori could deal with it alone. This was a test for both him and Kugisaki, not her.