Greek Girl - (chapter 1)

Chapter one

Oh please, please, please keep me safe on this giant metal flying machine made by man. I don't want to die, not now, not ever!

"Honey are you okay? You look... a-little nervous." My mom said while turning her face around, letting it rest in between the plane seats. Her eyes were an intense emerald compared to the pale green pleather, covering the aisles chairs.

"Yeah I'm fine mom...don't worry we'll be there soon...right?" I asked. I hadn't realized why my mom asked me that question in the first place, until I noticed my fingers grasping both of the arm chairs so tight my finger tips were steadily turning a deep purple.

"The plane has not even started up yet. You can relax sweetheart, I know how nervous you are to be in a place your not used to, but you'll adjust." said my mom with an over dramatic smile. (Another thing my mom did not know about me. I was afraid of planes not meeting new people, well maybe just a- little bit).

She turned her head back around to a manual I noticed her reading.

how to use your seat as a flotation device

I looked around on the back seat compartments but could not find as single safety percaution booklet. So I immediately unbuckled my seat belt and leaned my body between the two seats snatching the manual from my moms grasp.

"Alena Clair Gyles, ask before taking things!" My mom yelled. Ugh. I hated it when she used my whole name, it was so embarrassing.

"Alex, Alex, Alexander!" my mother screamed. Letting all of the world know that she is a complete crazy person and how irritated she was. My dad slowly took off his earphones From the top of his jet black, bed head hair and set them gently down on the magazine covering his lap, saying in a calm tone:

"Yes my darling Aggie what is it this time?" he asked my mom.

"Why is it always me who's scolding her? No wonder she likes you more." my mom said with a sly smirk on her face.

"Well Aggie what can I say, I am a man of few words." said my father sliding back on his earphones. I loved my dad, he always seemed to make frustration go away In a matter of seconds.

I looked down at my manual figuring out a way to save my own life if anything did happen to our plane. Eventually, I got bored of reading the fine script and stared out the window watching the people using paddles to direct planes where to go. Watching this scene made me more relaxed.

I was going to miss kambia, Greece and my friends. The biggest part I will miss, will be the annual cherry picking festival. It was the biggest event our village would look forward to in the summer and warm days all around! But I probably will never experience that again because my dad decided to move our family to the United States. He said we needed a fresh start and he got offered a great job that would satisfy many of our needs. What does that even mean?

What makes it even more hilarious is where this so called job would be located. Of course like the curious teenager I am I had to know as soon as I could of where we would be moving to, I guessed California? Florida? All the places I've wanted to go to, I even guessed Michigan, since my uncle lived there and all, but I was still wrong and then I heard that 4 syllable word...

Indiana. Bloomington, Indiana to be exact.

I mean no offense, but it sounded like a hick state to me. I could be wrong. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

**********************

As soon as the flight attendant came out I quickly snapped my seat belt back on.

She was one of those people who walked into a room and looked like they owned the place. Her blonde hair elegantly bounced as she strutted over to a spot she seemed most comfortable at. Then, as she spoke her eyebrows dangerously arched up from her intense concentration on her memorized speech.

"Hello everyone Welcome to kambia airlines, my name is Heleus and I will be your flight attendant on your safe journey to the united states." I laughed inside as she stressed the word safe. Then she started back up again. "If you look to my far left you will notice an emergency exit. Your manuals in your seat compartments explain how to open the latch in case of a bumpy journey." I laughed again, this time sarcastically while squeezing my hands together until they turned white. My first time being on a plane. I didn't think I would be this nervous.

She continued, "In the far back you will see flotation devices, but if time is a problem you may use you seat instead, like this." she showed us an example of how to take it apart. I listened to a small portion more of her speech but then tuned her out.

I turned around to see my dad listening to his ancient mp3 player ( he was such a teenager, not even cramming a word in of what the flight attendant was saying). At the same time though I could understand why, whenever he would take them off, mom would start talking from being surrouneded by to much silence.

I took out my I- pod that I got for Christmas from the uncle who lives in Michigan. He came all the way from Greece to see us , but I am still not sure if it was because he wanted to see us or the fact that my cousin begged him to go, saying it was because he had missed us, meaning he wanted to see some hot Greek chicks! Which he didn't by the way.

I turned to the song "That's Not My Name" by the ting tings. I just needed something up beat to get my mind off things.

I looked out the window one last time as the plane took off into the air. Goodbye kambia, here I come Indiana.

Oh please, please, please make this place look more beautiful then I imagine it...way more beautiful.

:) okay, so this is my first book. So please let me know what you think. I know there are probably errors, but I'll get them fixed as soon as I can! Hope you like it. Chapter two will be up SOON!

P.s. be nice hehe

- TTFN (ta ta for now)