Chapter 33

Leon was sitting alone in front of the emergency ward. Tom left with the police after they had done questioning Leon. Leon's hands could not stop trembling. Just an hour ago, he was holding Viola in his arms. Her body was cold. There were bruises and blood on her face and wrists. I failed to protect her. Leon buried his face into his trembling hands.

"Mr. Oliver." Dr. Gale came out of the ward.

Leon lifted his head. "How is she?"

"Her body temperature has dropped to a... quite concerning level." Dr. Gale explained calmly. "We will monitor her closely. Please leave this to us."

Leon was quiet. His eyes turned to the closed door where the doctor just came out.

"I don't know if she is lucky. She probably did not have much energy left when she accidentally bit her tongue. She did lose some blood but we have treated that." The doctor added.

Leon did not say anything.

Dr. Gale put his hand on Leon's shoulder. "You can go and see her."

Leon entered the room and saw Viola lying on the bed. Her face was pale. His hand gently touched her face. "I'm sorry." He muttered. A drop of tear fell on his hand. "I'm sorry."

Two days after the incident, Viola woke up to find herself alone in a clean white room. She recognized the familiar disinfectant smell around her. Hospital... I am... alive. She forced herself to get up − and then suddenly, she heard someone opened and closed the door.

Leon walked in and saw Viola sitting up on the bed. He pocketed his phone and walked toward her.

"You are awake."

Viola stared at the figure in front of her for a few seconds before stretching her arms out and hugged him. "You are... safe..." She winced at the cut in her mouth.

"You hurt your tongue. Don't talk too much." Leon touched her lips. "I'll call Dr. Gale."

For the next few days, Leon stayed with Viola in the hospital, just the two of them. Leon did not say anything about the kidnapping. Every time Viola wanted to explain, Leon would shut her down and ask her to rest. He was with her for the whole time but they rarely talked. Viola felt a change in Leon.

After spending almost two weeks in the hospital, Viola was finally discharged.

"Young master won't let me see you at all. He warned the hospital not to let any visitor come near you, not even Mr. Ernest!" Nadia grumbled as she accompanied Viola back to her room on the second floor.

"It is better not to let my father see me in that state..." Viola assured her.

"What state? I saw the news! Is it true that the kidnappers tortured you?" Maria asked.

"Maria!" Her sister pinched her arms.

"I'm alright now. Don't worry." Viola smiled weakly. Tom had tried to suppress the news in Bellfield but he could not stop the news from spreading in Mir. Now everyone knew about the romantic affair between Leonard Oliver's wife and her ex-boyfriend that happened to be the lover of Mir's socialite, Nora Tellsa. Viola felt sick. She had brought embarrassment to Leon's and her own family.

"Please rest for now, Madam. We will go back to the kitchen." said Aria, looking worried.

Viola nodded and the three helpers left the room. She felt better after seeing the familiar faces around her. She had spent two exhausting weeks with just Leon and the medics 24/7. Feeling bored in the bedroom, Viola thought of helping out in the kitchen and almost bumped into Leon at the door.

"Where do you think you are going?" He asked.

"Kitchen."

"Call them up if you need something." Leon passed through Viola and disappeared into the changing room. He popped out again after a few minutes.

Viola looked at Leon who had changed into a more comfortable, casual clothing. "Umm... you haven't been to the office lately. Are you not busy?"

Leon did not reply. He took out his phone, pressing a few keys on the screen to make a call.

Viola pursed her lip. He totally ignores me. He is still angry, isn't he?

"I won't bother you. I'll go downstairs." Viola forced a smile and left the room.

'Bring him food' A text came from Rana. Viola had only wanted to let her employer know she had recovered and would go back to work soon but the conversation had since railed off to her receiving advice on how to apologize to Leon. Nevertheless, Viola took the advice and was now standing in front of his... or their room with a tray of food on her hands. Aria watched her with a worried face.

"Madam, please let me..."

"It's okay, Aria. Help me knock the door? My hands are full."

Aria was confused why the mistress had to knock but she did anyway. After a triple knock on the door, Viola let herself in, carrying the tray with her. Aria quietly closed the door and left after Viola gave her a nod.

Leon was still sitting behind his desk, unaware of who had just come in.

Viola placed the tray on his desk. "I heard you haven't taken your dinner."

Leon glanced at the sandwiches on the tray before turning his eyes back to the paper in front of him. "I'm not hungry."

"You'd like to eat something else? I... I can go to the kitchen and prepare..."

"I don't want to eat. If you have nothing else to do, just go to sleep." Leon answered without looking up.

Viola bit her lip. This was worse than the first time they met. It was better for them to play strangers and ignoring each other's existence rather than caring about the other person but completely distanced oneself at the same time.

"I'm sorry." Viola muttered softly.

Leon's eyes were still fixed on the documents although he had since lost his focus when Viola came into the room.

Viola hesitated but continued speaking. "I... apologized for causing you trouble. I was stubborn... I ignored your warning..."

Leon closed his eyes. "What are you doing? Stop talking and just go to sleep."

Viola clenched on her knit dress. "I... I know you are still angry with me. I just want..."

"I'm not angry with you." Leon got up and walked to the door. He felt that he could not stay in this room any longer. "I'm going out to get some air. You should rest now."

"Leon!" Viola pulled the back of his shirt to stop him from leaving.

Leon, who was caught by surprise, unconsciously slapped her hand off.

Viola froze for a moment. With trembled lips, she apologized again.