Chapter 29

Viola was sitting at a small restaurant located near to her working place. She glanced at her watch. There was still 5 minutes before the agreed time.

Earlier, Walter had called Viola and she had begged Walter to let her see him despite Leon's warning. Viola let out a sigh. What should she do if Leon found out she was meeting her former fiancé? Viola shook her head. Everything would be alright. She had known Walter for years. Walter would not do anything to harm her. Viola tried to assured herself.

Viola was sitting near a big window. She could see people walking up and down the street, their soles making prints on the white snow that had covered almost the entire city. Her gaze was still on the view outside when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Viola?" A voice called from behind.

Viola turned her head and there, standing in front of her, was Walter Aran with a handsome smile on his face. Viola froze for a while.

Walter shook her shoulders, looking worried. "Viola? Are you alright?"

Viola snapped back. "I... I am okay. I'm sorry. I... just..." Her voice trailed off.

Walter smiled and took the seat in front of her. "It's alright. Let's talk while we have our dinner?"

Viola nodded. It felt like it had been years since the last time they had meals together. Viola glanced at Walter who was flipping through the menus. A waiter stood beside him taking orders.

"Please cook the noodles longer." Walter requested before closing the menu. The waiter took notes and left the table to send the taken orders to the kitchen. Walter turned his eyes back to Viola who was caught looking at him. Walter smiled. "Yeah, I still remember how you like your food."

Viola did not know how to respond. She looked away. Inside, Viola was secretly happy to see Walter was still the man he knew. Walter laughed softly.

"How have you been?" Walter took the glass of water in front on him and took a sip. "I know you are married to Leonard Oliver now."

Viola's face turned red. She was embarrassed. How should she answer him? She nodded her head without looking at him. "I... am..." Viola clenched at her coat.

Walter took another sip of water and cleared his throat. "So?"

Viola lifted her head and looked at Walter.

"Didn't you tell me that you want to see me?" Walter asked calmly.

There were so many things Viola wanted to ask but her mind went blank as soon as she saw Walter. Viola was still looking at Walter silently. She wanted to poured out all her feelings but nothing came out from her lips. She cupped the glass in front of her.

Sensing her nervousness, Walter placed his hand on top of her hand. "Viola..."

Viola pulled her hands unconsciously. "Oh... I... I'm sorry..." Viola apologized. She was taken aback by her own conduct. My hands just moved on their own...

"It's alright." Walter looked dejected. The atmosphere became gloomy.

"You know, let's talk later. I'm hungry." Walter said as a waiter came, bringing their food.

The dinner finished quickly as both did not talk much. Walter only threw in a few comments on his food while Viola listened silently and continued her meal.

After they left the restaurant, Walter suggested they walked to a nearby park where a lighting installation was put up recently. Viola agreed and they walked there in silence.

There were a few couples and families walking around the park, enjoying the winter illumination. After walking further, they arrived at an open space with a giant bronze bell in the middle. Walter pointed to an empty bench nearby. Viola sat on one side, admiring the giant bell in front of her, which was now covered with colorful lightings.

"Wait here. I'll get something warm." Walter said and ran towards a coffee stall they walked past by on their way here. Viola continued looking at Walter's back until it disappeared.

"Madam..." A voice came from behind Viola.

"Leave us alone. I need to talk to him." Viola answered without looking back.

"But Mr. Oliver clearly..."

"He won't do anything to me." Viola cut her bodyguards' sentence.

"Very well, Madam." The guard disappeared into the dark.

Walter came back with two cups of hot chocolate in his hands. He passed the drink to Viola and took the seat beside her.

"Bellfield is cold, huh?" Walter remarked as he sipped his sweet hot chocolate.

Viola did not answer. She took a deep breath.

"Where were you all this time?" Viola's direct question stunned Walter.

"In Mir." He replied shortly.

"You know that's not what I mean!" Viola turned her head to face Walter. Her eyes were teary.

Walter did not answer.

"Did you... did you and Eugene... really frame my father?" Viola's voice was trembling.

"I did not!" Walter shouted and then lowered his voice. "I swear I did not..."

"Then..."

"I was... staying at... at a client's place! The night before, Eugene and I attended a social gathering. And when I woke up the next day... I saw the news..." His voice trailed away. "Please believe me, Viola! I did not have anything to do with the money stolen from the clients!" Walter took Viola's hands but she pushed his hands away.

"Then why didn't you pick up my call... why didn't you come... why didn't you...?" Tears started to flow down her face. "My father and I were looking for you. My mother died heartbroken because she thought you and Eugene had betrayed us."

Walter looked away. "I... I'm a coward. When I saw the news... I thought about my career... my future..." Walter could not continue his words. Viola could not believe what she just heard. She knew his works meant a lot to him but she did not know Walter would abandon her because of it.

"I felt guilty afterwards and thought of looking for you! But when I heard you got married to Leonard Oliver, I was disappointed... and angry." Walter paused. "I know I did not have the right to feel so... but... how can you marry someone you barely know? Did you marry him because you need money?"

Pang. A loud slap landed on Walter's face. Viola bit her lower lip in anger. Her hand hurt.

"Viola...?" Walter touched his reddened cheek. He had never seen Viola angry.

"Leon was right." She got up from her seat. "I shouldn't have looked for you."

She put her hot chocolate down on the bench and left. Walter did not pursue her. He just sat alone silently, trying to overcome his shock of what had just happened.