You're so lucky, I thought it'd be gone forever!

All those came from a good place. Your friends were just excited to interact with you again in a work setting. At the same time, it was difficult not to take personally.

It made you wonder if one of your greatest fears was actually true.

What if without Atomic, I am nothing?

Nighteye's death never made you cry. You were too numb for that. Lost too many to shed needless tears. But every so often remembering that he was the only adult who ever put faith in you- you- not your power- you- was soul-crushing.

At least, Katsuki was there. Remembering how hard he fought for you to realize your worth passed some quirk a few months ago made your heart flutter. Even as he laid there, facing you, like a big baby lost in his dreams, you couldn't help but crack the littlest of smiles.

Katsuki... At least in the end, I know you have faith in me...

Turning onto your back again, you rocked your head side to side in a sort of nervous tick for a while, tried to fall asleep too. Maybe then, at least for a few hours, you could stop overthinking everything.

When sleep continued to elude you however, you felt your power stir. That power you had such mixed feelings towards was waking, or more accurately, returning.

So? You asked, inside your head, How is he?

No injuries. Atomic said, his tone like that of a happy child's with their hands behind their backs as they smiled, awaiting praise for a job well done. Good health. But he's scratching.

He always scratches, you said, some weight lifted off your shoulders as you finally had one hundred percent assurance that Tenko was okay.

You and him shared a quirk bond. You assumed that at some point when the two of you were little, Atomic split in half. The decaying, tangible part of the power went to Tenko. The recreating, intangible part went to you.

When you both hugged one another, finally reunited and aware, Atomic became whole again. He was no longer two puzzle pieces desperately trying to fit in just one body. Instead, he became like a ghost. Able to pass between the two as if no distance existed at all.

You weren't sure how that new ability of Atomic's worked. All you could do as of now tell the quirk to check on your brother. Atomic's power itself existed in both of you at all times, but the actual sentient voice could only inhabit one mind. So, whenever you asked, it took a little time depending on how far apart you were to 'Make sure Tenko is safe'.

I know. Atomic said, a bit distracted, possibly analyzing the room, maybe Bakugo, maybe you. But scratching is bad. Scratching means Tenko is unhappy.

Mm. That was true. Excoriation is a habit most use to deal with anxiety. But you were certain there was more to Tenko's scratching than just some nervous tick. In any case, now that you knew he was fine, your mind returned to thinking of Atomic.

You're speaking better. You said, because there was a time the power could only say a few words. All he knew was 'fight' and 'alone' and 'kill' and 'survive'.

I am learning. Learning is easier now. He responded, his tone unchanged.

You feel happy. You said, sensing his freshness, his want to please.

I am fulfilling my purpose. If Atomic had a body he would be jumping up and down, clapping with excitement.

'A quirk bond doesn't have an inherent purpose' that's what the doctor said to you at the hospital. 'But for some reason, we it does exist, those who bear the same quirk will always be connected,'