Part-22

"So you are proctoring the chunin exams?"

Shikamaru shrugged, looking annoyed with the task assigned to him. "Troublesome but, I can't complain. I can't do what I want."

Naruto dryly pointed out. "If you were allowed to do whatever you wanted, we would never see you again."

Shikamaru looked disgruntled. "Maybe I wouldn't be disturbed from my sleep now and then."

"Come now, Shikamaru, it would be so boring without you!"

Naruto turned to see the owner of the hearty and cheerful voice. Chouji had grown, both his hair and body. He wore clothing similar to his father, with the Akimichi symbol. However, the difference between three years ago and now was that Chouji had much more muscle at his disposal under the layer of fat.

Naruto grinned as they exchanged a hug. "I'm sure you can manage somehow."

"Ah, Naruto....have you grown thinner than before?" Chouji frowned at his friend.

"My appetite is as healthy as ever, Chouji," Naruto returned with an easy smile.

"Maybe you should eat more. You are all skin and bones," Chouji chastised, pulling out a bag of chips.

Naruto snorted. "Compared to you I am."

"So what are you doing here then?"

"I was just talking to Shikamaru about-" His danger sense buzzed loudly, making his head snap to the side. Shikamaru and Chouji were right behind him, noticing the attack at the same time. But Naruto was already moving.

Air appeared around his hand like a blade of wind, slashing away at the strange black and white creature. As soon as he slashed it, it burst into a black liquid that was....ink?

Naruto wasted no more time, disappearing and appearing right behind his attacker, kunai to the throat.

Shikamaru and Chouji gaped at the speed at which Naruto moved towards the attacker, who wore a Konoha headband?

Naruto observer his attacker closely, learning whatever he could. Pale skin, suggestive of spending an extended period of time away from sunlight. The barest smell of sewer air, which means he remains underground, close to the sewers. The unusual choice of clothing, unique equipment. Prefers long-range combat, hidden from the eyes, but tanto suggests that he isn't unversed in close combat either. Approximate age, 15 to 17 years old, low jonin level chakra reserves. Chakra is refined, which is indicative of a high level of control.

"You're good," he complimented, eyes narrowed. He was still highly suspicious that this guy hadn't moved one bit even after being seen.

The guy turned his head and looked at him with calculative eyes, before gracing him with the fakest smile Naruto had ever seen. "I knew you were fast, but I didn't think you were this fast, Uzumaki Naruto."

Regards me as a stranger, or is simply unaware of my head of clan status. Fakest smile I've ever seen, eyes completely blank of emotion. Yep, this guy is root. Now is my chance.

"How did you-"

"I don't know how you got in the village, but you're done."

With that, Naruto slashed at the throat. The guy had tried to move away, but Naruto had already frozen him with Kanashibari. Blood flowed from his jugular vein like a waterfall, and his eyes showed complete shock. Naruto watched dispassionately as the life faded from his eyes.

Shikamaru and Chouji joined him on the roof, eyes wide with surprise and horror. "Naruto, what have you done?"

Naruto glanced at Shikamaru, replying as if speaking about the weather. "He was a spy. I killed him."