A Centaurs Promise

Start from the beginning

"Why are the centaurs to serve me?" I questioned, trying to figure out what was going on.

"We have waited many years for your return."

"Return?" My mind suddenly conjured up the image of the bloodstained wall. Slytherin's heir.

"Yes, return. Not as yourself but in the form of another." My brows furrowed, why must all magical beings speak in riddles?

"I don't understand." He smiled kindly.

"Equsdemancus." He whispered, I gasped memories of being sat in the library returned to me. Equsdemancus, spirit of the horse.

"Many years we have waited for someone to bare the jewel, that would give life to those pure who have fallen." What? What jewel? Who had fallen?

"You speak in riddles Alderas. I do not follow, the jewel of the animagus was lost, stolen by grave robbers." He shook his head slowly, his golden hair sweeping back and forth over his toned shoulders.

"That is what the books say, before she died she passed on the jewel to the wizard, who saved her's, son. The jewel was never lost, but simply did not want to be found." The cogs in my brain began turning.

"If everyone thought it was lost, no one would try to track  it down?" He nodded.

"You seem to know a lot about this legend." It was a statement, but its questioning undertone put his on edge.

"She used to run with our herd, many years ago. My great, great, grand father was the one who found the two hunting wizards and begged for their help." He dropped his head, "he loved her very much." I suddenly felt very guilty for making such a beautiful creature, feel such sadness.

"I am sorry, Alderas." I whispered. Looking down at his hands I caught a glint of gold. Pulling back my sleeve I smiled at the golden bracelet, Oliver had given me.

"The jewel was passed down many generations, Miss Riddle. Between mother and oldest son, to be given to his intended." I looked up.

"Intended?" His green eyes were kind, but sparkled with mischief.

"The one he intends to spend his life with, the jewel protects its barer from death." My breath shallowed as I looked back down to the bracelet. Looking up I noticed he had moved closer and was watching my fingers as I played with the small charm.

"Alderas?" I took a cautious step back, but his eyes never left my wrist. I went to pull my sleeve back down, but was stopped as a firm hand wrapped round my arm. I struggled in his grasp. How had such a peaceful creature become so violent so quickly?

"Alderas!" I cried squirming and trying to pulled away from his grasp.

"To think such a small thing could prevent death, bring those back who were lost. Tis a powerful thing." His eyes seemed glazed over and he drew his lips back over his teeth. I whimpered as I tried to pull away again.

"Alderas let go!" I cried again.

"Anna!" A voice called from behind me.

"It's a powerful thing!" Two powerful arms suddenly wrapped around the centaurs waist pulling him backwards.

"Alderas release her!" A booming voice echoed through the forest, the teen's fingers released quickly  and I fell backwards, landing heavily, only to be scooped back up into two protecting arms. I looked up to my holder, Seamus? The boy held me protectively against his chest as he glared at the mythical beings before us. I stared up at the two centaurs from his embrace, Firenze kept hold of the struggling teen.