C H A P T E R T W O

Start from the beginning

They coordinated very well together, as if it was a choreographed dance. Everyone knew their role and occasionally alternated them in order to keep each other alive. Fern crossed her arms, subconsciously impressed, as she leaned against the wall. Despite seeing Tarkin's presence at the control center, she was still confused on why the Bad Batch was performing in a training session anyway, and why the ex-governor felt the need to attend.

Her thoughts were more or less answered when, after the enhanced squad finished off the last droid, a new set of armed machines emerged from the floor. Fern had never seen these type of droids before, yet her gut twisted, signaling her there was something wrong. Her hand reached for her own vibro-knife that was strapped to her right forearm. Then, she watched Wrecker, the big oaf to always approach a challenge, get shot with live ammo.

Fern's dark eyes darted to Tarkin with her teeth clenched. The urge to sink her weapon into his back was burning in her fingers that wrapped around the hilt; she could easily hurl her knife over her shoulder and lodge it in his skull. How dare he use them as target practice. Still hidden behind the wall in the dimmed lighting, Fern watched the Bad Batch regroup and form a counterattack. At first, the improvised plan seemed to be working: reprogramming one droid to destroy the others. However, when Tech was knocked off and the connection was lost, the surviving droids were closing in.

Just as Crosshair took out one, the last droid raised its arm, ready to fire at Hunter from behind. Fern acted viscerally and indeed swung her arm over her shoulder, but her blade imbedded itself in the droid's screened face instead. It overheated and collapsed. All heads, including the Bad Batch and Tarkin, turned to see who threw the weapon - luckily Fern was well hidden and was able to make herself scarce.

Hunter, the de facto leader of Clone Force 99, retrieved the phantom user's knife and immediately recognized its owner. He secured it on his belt, weighing he might get a chance to return it to her... His eyes followed up at the now-vacant balcony that she must have been observing him and the rest of his squad from.

"Hunter, you coming?" Tech nodded to him, now recovered from his fall. Hunter took another moment to glance up at the balcony, and then turned away. "Yeah, let's go."

——————————————————————

THIRD PERSON POV

How am I going to get my knife back if Tarkin is sending those rejects off on a mission?! Fern kicked the metal wall with the inside of her foot, grunting through her clenched teeth. She then plopped herself down on her bed, her arms knotted and shoulders scrunched up with frustration. This is what I get for helping him!

It had been only an hour since the rogue training session when she found out the squad were sent on a mission assigned by Tarkin, which was highly suspicious. And since Fern hated the politician with every fiber of her being, she wanted to get to the bottom of whatever his sneaky plan was. The Batch had already departed; she wished she knew someone whom she could ask for information from.

And then...a face appeared in her mind, and she mentally begged herself for a different option. Alas, one did not present itself, thus Fern reluctantly hoisted herself to her feet and exited her dorm in search for a certain young girl.

"Hey, Half-Pint," Fern called to Omega, who was walking with the same medical droid that aided Echo when he was in the infirmary. "What are you doing?" No, seriously, what is she doing? As Fern approached her in the corridor, she noticed every suspicious sign that the kid was up to something. She was painstakingly conspicuous...

"Oh, Fern!" Omega grabbed her hand and pulled her upper body down so that she could whisper. "I really need your help. I think Hunter and the others are in trouble."

"They can handle themselves. They're big boys." Fern rolled her eyes, then sneered. "And let go." She yanked her hand back, but lowered herself down to Omega's level on one knee. "What are you sneaking around for?"

"I overheard the Imperial officer talking to Lama Su," The young girl's round eyes suddenly changed, her hands wringed around themselves. "He doesn't like clones, and I think he has it out for Hunter and the others."

Huh, she's more clever than she looks.

"Yes, well, that's Tarkin for you. Do you know where they've sent the boys?" I asked in a low voice.

Omega shook her head. "But things are changing around here. It's not safe on Kamino anymore. I wanted to go with Hunter, but he said no."

"Trust me, it was probably for the best." Fern exhaled through her nose, briefly averting her eyes to the left while her mouth formed a tight, straight line. "Anywho, what are you looking for?"

Omega continued to wring her hands. "Nothing in particular, I suppose. I was heading to their barracks to see if I can find any clues..."

"Huh," Fern smirked. "Alright, let's go." She rose to her feet and kicked at the droid just hovering by. "Hey, beat it. I'll make sure she doesn't get into trouble." Seemed to work. Omega confirmed with the droid and it buzzed off. Omega looked up at the adult clone with a wide smile. "Thanks, Fern."

"Don't thank me. And be sure to shut your trap when we get to their barracks. We don't want to get caught. If we do get caught, I'm blaming you."