Cows, Robbers and Daffodils

"My love is strong like a bull. It's ardent like the branding iron and raging as the bolted runaway cattle."

I was picking daffodils in the prairie. Laying on the grassy floor, I looked at the different shapes the clouds formed as they floated in the blue sky carried by the wind.

I placed the recently picked flowers in my basket along with crisp and clean sheets I washed in the creek. The pretty flowers were for Papah. My father loved daffodils for those were mom's favorite.

The rumbling sound of a thousand hooves made me jolt. I sat up straight immediately peeping over the tall grass. My eyes opened wide and my heart stopped beating for a second. The cloud of yellow dust told me that I was in great danger and I needed to get out of that place right away.

The runaway cattle advanced towards me. I tried to run with my basket but it only made my escape more difficult. I threw it away and looked back. The raging livestock was a few steps behind me. The deafening sound that the animals in full throttle made as they approached... closer and closer... was horrific! I feared for my life. Death was behind me in the form of a thousand bulls.

I tripped. My face hit the grass. I looked back and the cows were about to crush me. I closed my eyes and waited for the end.

I was lifted by an arm in the air. I opened my eyes to find that I was riding a horse tightly held by an unknown man behind me... A robber!

His face was was cover by a cloth, like the rest of the riders. Red cloths, black leather hats: The Red Bull Ring! Gracious Lord!

I stayed still and quiet and let him ride. I had in that moment, the same chance of being killed by one of those mercenaries like I was before by the beasts.

The cattle rustlers guided the animals to a creek. The man helped me get down of the stallion. From nowhere he handed me my basket. With the clothes, but the daffodils were gone.

"You are free to go." He told me.

I walked away without looking back.

A week after those events when I was saved by the robber, I returned from the town's market. I went to buy some groceries riding Rosalinda, my brown and white mare. The sound of an approaching horse neighing close behind alerted me. A young girl riding alone was always a risk and these lands are not a safe place for ladies.

It was a man, a loner. In a few minutes he was riding besides me.

"G' morning, young lady." He greeted me politely. His voice sounded familiar to me.

"G' morning." I replied in a plain tone.

He was a handsome fellow. Young, roughly in his thirties. His deep blue eyes looked at me insistently and made me blush.

"I just wanted to give you these. I guessed you might wanted your flowers back." He gave me a bunch of recently picked daffodils. I took them in awe. A cold shiver ran through my spine. Could he be the rider, the robber that saved me a week ago?

Before I could say thank you, the man rode away. I smelled the daffodils and smiled.

***This is an unofficial entry for the Grand Prix Writing Challenge. Let me know what do you think. The prompt was a gang of robbers and the wild Wild West!!!
Less than 800 words was requested.
I was a judge in this competition. ;-)