Love Is A Fool

Love is a Fool

She's the most beautiful woman in the world

She's the most beautiful woman in the world. Every time she came to the restaurant I felt butterflies in my stomach and my head spun. The world seemed to stop around her and I saw nothing or hear nothing but her.

"Hey, Tim! Wake up! Take this order to table five!" Patting me on the shoulder, my boss brought me back to reality. "Stop staring at Miss Darlington and go back to work."

Grabbing the tray with awkward elegance, I meandered amid the tables in the dining, gazing at the stunning brunette sipping her cappuccino and reading a book. As I walked by, the woman smiled amiably to me. I smiled back, My eyes fixated on her. "Woaaa" Not looking where I stepped, I stumbled upon a chair, plummeting hard on the floor... on top of the tray and over the soup. Broccoli and cheese splattered everywhere.

"I'm sorry... No, please, don't worry. I'll clean it in a minute." My face reddened with embarrassment, as I avoided looking at Miss Darlington, still knowing she was looking at me, like everyone else did, probably thinking me a fool.

I tried to clean up the mess when Mike, my boss, arrived in no time to the sticky scene. "Leave that Tim. Louise will clean that up. We'll talk in the kitchen."

'That was it. I would be certainly kicked off for this stupidity!' I thought as I followed Mike. Miss Darlington's gave me a sympathetic look as I walked next to her.

After receiving a memo, I left my job that Saturday morning, earlier than expected through the rear exit door of the restaurant. Inside my head, Miss Darlington's face lingered, not in best terms, looking at me with a pitiful expression.

"Just leave me alone, Max! Don't you get I don't want anything with you!" a female voice yelled somewhere from the dim alley.

I peeped over the garbage containers and it was Miss Darlington arguing with a tall and handsome man.

"You can't dump me like that Arlene! I won't let you go so easily." Grabbing her by the shoulders, the man pressed her against the wall forcing a kiss. Unable to contain myself any longer, I hustled towards them.

I patted on the guy's shoulder. "I think you've heard the lady. She wants you to leave her alone." I modulated my voice trying to sound intimidating.

Turning around and stared down at me. He was a handsome fellow, tall and muscle built. I soon regretted my intromission, but I couldn't stand the way he was treating 'my' Miss Darlington.

"Excuse me? Who the f*uck are you?" His voice was grave.

Miss Darlington's peeked by the man's side, eyes widening to see it was me.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "I'm Tim, Miss Darlington's friend", I stuttered.  "And that's not the proper way to treat a lady."

"Oh really?" The man laughed sarcastically. "I thought you were more selective choosing your friends, Arlene... A waiter?" He gazed at me with disdain. "Look, Tim, if I'm treating well or not this woman is none of your business." Clenching my fists, I looked at Miss Darlington. She stared back at me, her eyes reddened with tears. The man turned away and hauled the lady by an arm. "Let's go Arlene. We'll talk at my place."

"I'm not going with you Max! I already told you!" Miss Darlington tried to push him back.

I pulled the man's jacket and he, swiftly turning around, punched me in the face, throwing me over a pile of boxes. Amidst all the blurry and spinning images, I saw the man charging towards me. He lifted me up like a ragged doll. I didn't even raised my arms up, I had no strengths to fight back. Closing my eyes I waited for the next blow but in the moment he was about to punch me, Miss Darlington hit him in the head with a pipe, and Max plummeted on the floor like a chopped down tree.

"Are you okay?" Miss Darlington asked me giving me the sweetest smile, light caramel eyes locked with mine.

"Oh, yes, I'm fine... Ouch." She touched my jaw and I jerked back in pain.

"I'm so sorry... It's all my fault." The woman cupped my chin with tenderness. Her hand felt soft against my soar skin.

"No, please, I'm good, for real." Beaming at the man knocked down on the floor, I told her, "I think it's better to get going before your friend wakes up. He'll be really pissed off."

"Yes, you're right... Thanks Tim." My name in her voice was like music to my ears.

"Oh... It was nothing... Thank you for knocking him off." I scratched my head and smiled in complicity. "Hope the rest of your day goes well, Miss Darlington."

"Arlene, please call me Arlene." Her rosy lips curved up amiably.

"Okay, Arlene." Waving good bye, I walked towards the sidewalk and waited for a cab.

"Do you mind if I take you home. My car is around the corner. It's the least I can do for you." Arlene told me, her so enchanting smile melted me like butter.

I nodded and followed her. When we passed by the restaurant, poor Max wobbled up rubbing his head.

On our way, we conversed a little. It was a short drive, only a few blocks from the Bistro.

"This is where I live. Thanks for the ride." I opened the car's door.

"Wait! Here, take my phone number. Feel free to call me. Anytime. Perhaps, we can have a coffee... No broccoli cheese soup included, please." She laughed out loud, cheeks blushing as she gave me a business card with her name and phone number.

As I stood on the sidewalk I sighed, watching the black Mercedes Benz riding away. Shrugging, I read the name on the card. 'Arlene Darlington, MD Cardio-thoracic Surgeon.

"Yeah, right. Like a waiter will dare to invite a doctor to have a coffee." I mumbled to myself as I walked inside the condominium.

After taking a warm and soothing shower I chuckled to recall how Arlene had saved me when I tried to save her from her ex gorilla-slash-fiancée. Sitting at the desk in my bedroom, I turned on the laptop and read one more time the card. Irony tastes like broccoli and cheese soup and feels like genuine car seat leather... This waiter-wanna-be-writer has fallen in love with a cardio thoracic surgeon... At least I have a funny story to write about tonight.'

'Now, more than ever, the world needs more heroes, fools and broccoli-cheese soup...' I typed.

***Short Story written originally for April, KarlOConnor 's Nine Month Writing Challenge and edited for the _ShortStory_ and UndiscoveredBooks Valentine's contest

***Short Story written originally for April, KarlOConnor 's Nine Month Writing Challenge and edited for the _ShortStory_ and UndiscoveredBooks Valentine's contest. Prompt given is the last line in italics. Received an honorable mention in the contest!