Chapter 2 ~Sad Rubies~

Kaien Cross decided to raise Sakura with the knowledge of vampires. He did this in hopes of instilling understanding in the young girl instead of fear and hatred. Through the years, Sakura grew to be a kind and intelligent girl for her age. She wasn't overly shy and always sought to make a new friend, whether human, animal or otherwise. It was one true night that set her life on a chaotic path.

"Papa, can I go outside to make a snowman? Pretty please?" Sakura pleaded with puppy eyes. She was just seven years old. Her blue eyes shined with hope while quickly darting to the winter wonderland beyond the window before resting on the man again.

The man, Kaien, sighed lightly from hearing the question asked after five times. "Sakura, I already told you it's too late for that. Maybe tomorrow when it's light out."

"But I promise to stay close and even wear all my winter clothes. Please, Papa, I love you so much I'll even do the laundry for a week!" She insisted while walking towards him and tugging on his sleeve. She badly wanted to go outside and even raised the stakes. Sakura hated doing the laundry.

Kaien chuckled, knowing what she did and how much it meant she wanted something. He bent down and scooped Sakura up in his arms and smiled gently. "I'm sorry, but it's just too late. You should be in bed by now." When Sakura started to interject and interrupt him, he poked her nose. That was their signal to listen to another. "But how about we have hot chocolate since you can't go outside. You're my Little Snow Blossom, and even snow blossoms can freeze outside. So how about this instead?"

Sakura beamed and cheered at the idea. That made Kaien laugh again, and he let her down. She sprung towards the table with a grin while he began preparing their drinks. When the hot chocolate was ready, Kaien gave her a cup. Sakura stared at the steam drifting off of the cup before lifting it to her mouth and drinking it. She sighed happily as the warmth travelled through her body.

Once they were both done, Kaien picked Sakura up and put her in bed. He made sure she was tucked securely in her bed and pressed a light kiss to her forehead. "Goodnight, Snow Blossom."

Sakura smiled sleepily at him with her eyes drooping. "Goodnight, Papa."

* * *

Sakura awoke in the night to the sound of two male voices. One she recognized while the other was foreign. Her small hands rubbed the sleep from her eyes as she sat up in her bed. Curiosity drove her to walk towards the voices. She hid behind a wall while watching the scene before her. There were two men, one of them she recognized instantly as her father. The other was of a boy that looked to be around eight years old. He had a grey winter trench coat on, dark brown hair and eyes that were a reddish-brown. Beside him was a girl that looked maybe at most two years younger than Sakura herself.

"-yes, of course, I can look after this child. You're the surviving son of the person I owe a lot to." Kaien's voice caught Sakura's attention before he paused for a breath. His gaze was focused on the girl to the right of the young boy. The girl had brown hair as well, but Sakura couldn't see her eyes from where she hid. The unnamed girl used her finger to poke the pudding in her hands. She watched it jiggle with a blank face. Kaien then continued to speak. "She doesn't even understand that the pudding is food."

Sakura tilted her head, confused and curious. How could someone not know pudding is food? She gently shook her head before refocusing on the discussion at hand. The boy spoke not long after. His voice drew everyone's attention, even the unnamed girl beside him. "Yes, she seems to have lost all her memories," he paused when he noticed the brown-haired girl's stare on him. He then talked to her. "You scoop it up with a spoon like this. Here, now say 'ah'."

At that moment both of the girls' attention was driven towards the boy's mouth. Even from where Sakura was hiding, she saw the light shine onto them. In the boy's mouth was a set of pearly white fangs. He was a vampire. This didn't scare Sakura, but that's not to be said for the other girl. The brown-haired girl gasped and stared at his fangs then turned fully to the boy.

"What's wrong? Just open up wide." He tried to help the girl but he stopped as she reached out and touched his lips before touching his fangs. He closed his eyes and opened his mouth, letting her feel his fangs. The girl then gasped in fear before she quickly retreated and curled up on herself. Sakura took a step towards the group, worried for the girl but stopped herself. "Sorry, but I think it's best if I leave now and never see her again after all. I'll go home."

Sakura looked between the other girl and the boy. The girl was absolutely petrified. The boy looked so sad and lonely. Kaien's eyes widened in surprise and his voice interrupted Sakura's thoughts. "Go back home, to that place? There's nothing but a den of monsters waiting for you there. And all they want is to take advantage of you since your parents have passed away." His tone was full of disapproval and sadness. It seemed as if Kaien was completely against that decision and wanted to protect that boy from whatever awaited him.

The boy got up and walked away towards the door, which was by the wall Sakura hid behind. She shrunk away a little to avoid being caught. "Yes, but I have no choice." He turned back towards the unnamed girl. "You take care." He continued to walk.

Sakura peaked out from the corner of the wall right as the boy passed. Their eyes locked together, electric blue on reddish-brown. The boy didn't pause his stride but maintained eye contact until he passed her. Only once he walked out the door did Sakura move again. Nothing else mattered to her at that moment, the only thing on her mind was his eyes. They looked so sad, lonely and something else she couldn't quite describe. If such a thing could be sad, then they looked like sad rubies. Beautiful and captivating but haunting and despairing. She couldn't help but worry about him, her father did say he lost his parents.

Her attention was grabbed by Kaien's hand on her shoulder. "Sakura, are you alright? Why aren't you in bed?" It was then that she realized she was silently crying. What's wrong? Why am I crying? He looked so...hurt.

"Who was that, Papa?" She asked while drying her tears.

Kaien sighed before gently ruffling her white hair. He guided her to the unnamed girl. "From now on she'll be living with us. She doesn't remember much, not even her name, so we'll have to come up with one, alright?" Sakura nodded. "Why don't you show her to one of the guest rooms. I think all of us should go to sleep now."

Sakura could see the girl better after Kaien brought her into the actual room.  The girl's hair was a lighter brown but her eyes shocked Sakura. They were the same colour as the boy's eyes and shockingly they looked almost the same as well. While the boy's eyes looked sad and lonely, the girl's looked sad and scared. They both look like sad rubies. Sakura made a promise to herself then and there, she would make sure that the two people who shared such extraordinary eyes would be happy. She held out her hand and smiled towards the girl who gave a blank stare back. "I'm Sakura, it's nice to meet you."