Chapter 4 ~Yuki's Sickness~

Ever since Kaname came that day, Yuki began to speak more. One month has passed and she started to shed the shy reserved persona she had and become more outgoing and energetic, like the child she was. Kaien was more than thrilled at her change, seeing as she would respond to him more. Sakura was happy as well, seeing as she got to grow closer to Yuki.

Sakura woke up to the smell of breakfast. It greeted her like an old friend and she smiled purely out of delight. Kaien always made such delicious food. She jumped out of her bed and bounced into the kitchen. Kaien stood in front of the stove cooking and Yuki had yet to come out of her room. "Morning, Papa! It smells so good, just like always."

Kaien smiled cheerily. "Good morning, Sakura. How did you sleep?"

"Really good! I had a weird dream though, it was with all of us and we were fighting zombies but then they disappeared. And then Yuki and I were leaders of a group that were enemies with yours, so we all fought a big battle!"

"That does sound like an interesting dream. Oh, have you seen Yuki yet?" He waited while Sakura shook her head then continued, "Do you want to tell her breakfast's ready?"

"Sure." With that, Sakura skipped her way to Yuki's room. She knocked and waited, but no response came. She opened the door slowly while talking. "Hey Yuki, Papa made breakfast again. It's ready and smells rea-are you okay?" She stopped herself once her eyes laid focus on the girl in bed.

Yuki's long hair was tangled, still fresh from waking up. Her face looked red and she looked to be having a hard time breathing. "I don't feel good." Her eyes were squinted and her brows were furrowed in pain.

Sakura walked into the room and put her hand on Yuki's forehead. She brought her hand away while frowning. "Yuki, I think you have a fever. Does your head hurt?" At Yuki's nod, Sakura's frown deepened. "Hold on, I'll bring Papa."

Sakura went back to the kitchen and told Kaien what happened. He turned off the stove and grabbed a thermometer before going to Yuki's room. Kaien placed the thermometer in her mouth and hummed at the results. "You do have a fever, Yuki. Don't worry, just stay in bed and rest for the day. I'll bring you some food." After he brought a plate of breakfast to Yuki's room, Sakura and Kaien sat down at the table to eat their own breakfast.

Sakura wanted to enjoy the breakfast that Kaien made, it was truly delicious. Yet her mind was preoccupied with worry for the younger bed-ridden girl. "Hey Papa, will Yuki be okay? It's not a bad fever, right?"

Kaien looked into the blue orbs of his daughter. He gave her a soft smile before assuring her Yuki would be okay after resting. That seemed to ease her mind and she was finally able to appreciate the meal Kaien had made for them. The day went by normally and Sakura as well as Kaien would check up on Yuki. Before nightfall, Kaien went to his personal office to make a call. Yuki slept throughout the day only waking occasionally, but she fell asleep with the world when night fell. Sakura made it her duty to watch over Yuki while she slept to make sure she was alright. 

She played with her white hair while she looked at Yuki's sleeping form. She had gotten noticeably better after sleeping the whole day, but her fever remained persistent. Sakura took the washcloth off of Yuki's forehead before dumping it into the bowl of water on the nightstand. She then gently placed it back onto Yuki's forehead. Sakura remembered all the times she would have a fever and how lonely she felt. Kaien wouldn't be able to watch over her constantly because of work demands, yet he'd make an effort to brighten her day. He'd even leave small notes and fresh food for her, it would always make her smile.

Sakura's trip into memory lane was interrupted by knocking on the front door. She heard her father walk over to answer the door. She was surprised by the voice she heard then. It was of Kaname and he sounded worried.