chapter five | griever

my first shift as being a madjack with quite fun. clint and jeff were sweet and caring. apart from newt, they were definitely my favourites. it was now dinner time and i was eating with chuck, minho and newt. it was all fun and a load of laughing was going around, until one boy came to eat with us. thomas. when he came to eat with us, it fell silent for a few seconds and then went back to having a laugh while i was focusing on my food, not wanting to look at thomas.

it was kinda awkward considering that feeling came rushing back. i knew he felt the same because a: he told me that bonfire night at the treehouse and b: that look on his face said it all. it was almost like guilt, written all over his face. he never kept his eyes off me, it made me feel uncomfortable yet intrigued to why he was staring at me. until i looked up at him and he quickly looked away from me.

'wow nice one thomas' i thought with a small chuckle escaping my lips.

"what's so funny?" minho asked me with the sass coming right back up.

"nothin'," i said continuing to eat my food and the boys went back to talking, including thomas.

THE NEXT DAY

i was obviously working as a madjack and jeff asked me to go and get some water for a patient. alby told me about how the medjacks go to the 'medjack well' in the forest, at the tour when i first came up here. while i was getting the water from the well, i couldn't help myself from looking around the forest. i feel like my curiosity will never go away. and it didn't. i kept looking around, but something felt different.

the first day i was here i barely kept my eyes away from the forest, but i was zoned out and not concentrating, but now, i fully looked at it. from the corner of my eye, i could see, on the walls, a hole. i was so confused, so obviously i went closer. my legs were almost dragging themselves towards it. i felt like i wasn't in control. but i didn't care, i wanted to figure out something by myself around here.

when i finally got there, the hole was much bigger from closer. i was shocked, puzzled, confused and many more emotions were speaking for themselves. i rapidly ran away from it and back towards the well. i grabbed the bucket and sprinted to the medjack hut.

i never told anyone about what i saw earlier in the day. i just felt like no one would believe me, but i couldn't keep what i thought was crucial, in my head.

'maybe it would help with escaping? what if something happens if i don't tell anyone? maybe the so-called grievers would come through'

those questions, and many more, once again flooded my head. i mean, the hole was massive and newt told me at the bonfire night, that the grievers were gigantic, so i assume they can fit through. screw it, imma tell alby. i knew he was in a keepers meeting, probably about supplies and stuff, but i thought this was really important. so i went in.

as soon as i stood in, everyone stared at me. almost like repeating itself.

"what the hell are you doin' here greenie? this time you weren't called to be here," gally said, death staring me.

"i found something that i think is really important and also if this is a keepers meeting then why is thomas here?" i said bitterly while crossing my arms.

"a: we needed to talk to thomas and b: what did you find?" alby said now intrigued.

"i found a hole in the forest its massive, i think the grievers can go through there," everyone laughed apart from newt and thomas.

"yeah right greenie!" gally said along-side with his puppet mates. a lot of laughing and cockiness was going around which made me feel utterly embarrassed. i scoffed and exited the hut.