23. The Gunshot

A/N : Inline comments are love, so are your final comments on how you feel about the whole story after you read it. Looking forward to lots of both as you read each chapter!

Happy Reading!

***

The sun rays were directly seeping in from between the two giant pillars of the building which was under construction. The walls weren't made yet, just the cement floor and the ceiling, and the construction was on hold - probably for the cement to tighten in the sun. It was located in the deserted hilly side beyond Powai.

It was a breezy afternoon and he could feel the gentle wind touch his face - it was the only pleasant feeling especially after all the running, in the otherwise not so pleasant current surrounding of the nation's only rockstar - Abhi.

As he stood there, at the very edge, on the tenth floor - hands tied with ropes, above his head, he swayed a little - every time his frame swayed outside in the gentle breeze, he could hear her whimper in fearful anticipation. She was tied to a pole to his far opposite, she had somehow managed to kneel down on the floor - he could make out only her silhouette against the harsh sunlight filtering in from behind her. He tried to gauge her expression every time she whimpered for him, but damn the sunlight.

No, these two weren't the only ones in the frame - even though Abhi's mind just focused only on so much for the time being. Encircling her in stealthy pace was Neil, the corporator and scattered around were his hounds. He was hovering around Pragya and traumatising her.

"Look at you arrogant rockstar! He just can't accept defeat can he? Rather die than bend my head - that's his motto right? Well then he will have it his way" said Neil silkily to a tear stricken and struggling Pragya.

"NO! Leave him alone! How can you be so ruthless" shrieked Pragya.

"Or...hmmm..that seems plausible too..you are man and wife right? Society considers you one. Maybe you can beg and apologize before me? I will count that as his. See I am not that ruthless after all"

"Pragya NO. You will not apologize or beg for my life before him! I forbid you to stoop before this miserable embarrassment to mankind" screamed Abhi from the other end. He swayed outside even more horribly at this.

Neil smirked at this, "Ah rockstar, wifey is in no mood to follow your bidding isn't it? Now with every apology she puts before me, it will each be a blow on your ego and pride..perfect..the perfect humiliation before your death."

"No. Please please please leave him. I will apologize to you, you hate me right? Abhi has been involved in all this because of me, he was never directly related to this - please leave him. I beg of you" pleaded a helpless Pragya

"No, Pragya it's not worth it. Keep quiet. He will not kill me"

"No Abhi, I cannot risk it. I always want to see you win, but if you're victory costs you your life, I would gladly see you defeated."

"And I haven't heard enough begging yet Pragya ji" softly put in Neil.

"Neil, please, I beg of you, I will do all your bidding. Kill me instead if needed, but let him free. Please don't harm Abhi, let him go. I promise on his behalf that he will not put you behind the bars - just let him free please. I apologize for being the hindrance in your life, I will do what it takes to redeem all this - please let my husband go"

Neil laughed cruelly, and Abhi struggled at his spot, seeing Pragya so vulnerable before such a disgusting man. But before anyone could answer, one of Neil's accomplices informed him that someone had come to meet him. Abhi saw the look that crossed the corporator's face - Abhi realized he was not the only one against them - Neil had a boss, but who?