***

"I must say, I am surprised to not hear any news of your betrothal young lady," Lady Cowper said from beside her. "I had high hopes after your debut at Almack's."

Vivienne's hands stiffened as she laid her fork to rest on the plate. "That makes two of us," she replied tightly.

The countess smiled slightly, "None of the gentlemen caught your fancy? I do believe I saw you spending some time with the handsome Captain Gronow. He can be quite charming when he wants to be," she leaned in conspicuously. "Between you and me, the other Almack's Patronesses were hesitant to let him in, but he has since proven us otherwise."

Vivienne gave her a bland smile hoping the conversation would switch to another topic. "The Captain and I were just friends," she said. It was true, at least in her eyes. She had never viewed Rees in a romantic notion, but he had, and she'd let him down. Instead, she chose to follow her foolish heart which had only led to further heartbreak.

"I must say, I'm surprised Lady Torrington didn't find an excellent match for you, but there is always next year dear. Although you should not wait too long. A new diamond always emerges soon after and it only sparkles for so long until something shinier comes along." Lady Cowper warned her offhandedly before switching the subject, "Speaking of, where is the dowager? I would have expected her to be here this afternoon."

"I'm afraid I do not know," Vivienne said politely.

It was the truth; she had not seen Lady Torrington since leaving the duke's house. Well, she had not seen many people since leaving the duke's house. These days, her social circle was rather small consisting of her lady's maid Millie, and cousin Grayson.

Vivienne took a bite of the meal, avoiding other questions from the lady. She was seriously going to have to speak to Fiona about the seating arrangement. Her friend seemed absorbed by her husband, as they were chatting softly at the end of the table.

"Your Grace,"

Vivienne's neck snapped upwards, horrified as Lady Cowper caught James' attention. He looked at her for a brief second before his gaze turned back to the countess. She had of course been aware of his presence throughout the wedding breakfast, but he had seemed more enthralled in chatting with Miss. Julia, who was seated beside him.

"I was just speaking with Lady Vivienne. Is your great-aunt well? I haven't seen her out an about society recently."

James leaned back in his chair, his appearance seeming unbothered. "That is because she left for the country."

"What?" Vivienne blurted out before she could stop herself. A few of the eyes turned towards her but she only looked at James.

He must have seen the need for answers upon her face because he elaborated, "She rather felt her time in London was getting quite exhausting and she had nothing left to do." James shrugged his shoulders. "Truth be told, she never was one much for society."

"Yes, I agree with that. Which made it even more exciting to have her with us this season. Lady Torrington is as astute as they come," Lady Cowper complimented her with a faint smile.

Vivienne listened to their conversation even as her heart sank. Another person gone from her life. She did not know why, but she felt rather betrayed by Lady Torrington's swift departure. The dowager had not left her a note nor informed Vivienne of her plans. The lady had been a fixture in Vivienne's life for the last few months and her departure expanded the already gaping hole in her heart.

She realized she had felt special in the presence of Lady Torrington. Her care and attention, while gruff had been pure. With her, Vivienne did not worry about pretenses. Their exchange was always honest, the words laid out between them. It was something she realized nobody else in her life had given to her. Not her parents, not even Agatha, or James—who had hidden their betrothal from her.