Finding our Footing

The band immediately started to record their first album. Harry's days consisted of going to the studio, vocal lessons, and meetings for the planning of their first tour. He would leave at around 6 in the morning and wouldn't get home until 6 or 7 at night. Sometimes the boys would come and stay at our house after a long day and I could tell they were exhausted.

There were also big changes happening in my life. My 8th grade year had ended and mom had decided that I wasn't going to continue attending public school. This decision came after mom sat in on discussions about the tour. She began to panic thinking about life on the road and what sometimes happens on tours. The other boys' family's didn't want to have that life or be in the public eye, so mom took it upon herself to be their guardian on the road; which meant I would have to go as well. I wasn't necessarily upset about it but I was sad that I would miss those big high school moments.

After 3 months, the guys were finally done recording their first album. Mom decided that she was gonna take the boys for a beach day to try and relax them before their big promotional tour for the album and their first ever world tour.

We found our spot and laid our blankets over the sand. The boys immediately rushed to the water except for Zayn. He laid out his towel and took off his shirt. I couldn't help but stare at his amazing washboard abs. I decided to go down to the water with the rest of the guys. I noticed that the guys kept trying to get Zayn in the water, but he wouldn't come. I decided to go up and ask him myself. I walked up and sat down next to him on the blanket. He had put his shirt over his face to go to sleep.

Emily: Zayn?

No response. I turned around and figured he had fallen asleep. I slowly lifted the shirt from his face to find his eyes closed with his mouth slightly open; sleeping. I completely lifted up his shirt and hit him in the face. I immediately turned away and acted casual. I felt movement and looked over. I saw Zayn sitting up squinting from the light of the sun.

Emily: Hey. Would you like to go down to the ocean?

He hesitated, but I knew that I was gonna get my way.

Emily: Just come and put your feet in.

Zayn: Fine.

He put on some sunglasses and we walked down. He slowly walked behind me as we approached the edge of the water. As we stood there, I looked at Zayn as the ice cold water washed over his feet. I had already gotten used to the water, but the restrained look on his face made me smile.

Emily: You know it's really boring when you bring your friend to the beach and they end up sleeping.

Zayn: They boys don't care. Look, they're having fun without me.

I looked over and the boys were jumping on each other's backs and swimming with the waves. It made me sad that he didn't feel wanted here. I decided we should walk out deeper to them to prove that he was wrong.

Emily: Let's go out further.

His face tensed up but he walked out further. I felt a big drop off as I walked further out.

Emily: Zayn there's a big...

Before I knew it I heard a splash and felt Zayn falling towards the water. I reached out and he grabbed my hand. He breathed hard as he tried to recover. The water was only up to our knees now but he seemed so frightened. I finally pieced it together in my head; he couldn't swim.

Emily: Zayn...is there maybe another reason why you didn't come swimming?

He gave me a knowing look.

Emily: Why didn't you just tell them? Or me?

Zayn: Look I really like the boys but once they know something about you, they always tease you about it; especially Louis. It's just embarrassing.

Emily: Well not to burst your bubble, but I think you'll have to tell them sometime. Do you want to just stay here? I promise I won't let you fall.

I selfishly knew it would be an excuse to continue holding his hand. He hadn't let go so far. We stayed in the water for a while longer and just talked about random things; all while holding hands. The boys weren't even paying attention so we didn't feel as awkward about it. After a while, we went back up to our blanket and laid out in the sun.

Zayn: So...you're going to be coming with us on the road?

Emily: Yes.

Zayn: That's good.

I smiled and let the heat from the sun dry me off from being in the ocean.

Press conferences and interviews started way sooner than I thought. The boys were either being interviewed or planning the tour which was now only a few weeks away. Sadly, they didn't get a huge amount of input in creative decisions but they always made sure to speak their minds. As we packed to officially go out on the road with them, I questioned if mom and I were making the right choice. On one hand, this was completely interrupting my life and future. I wanted to complete school and go to university. On the other hand, the boys needed us to be there to keep them grounded. And also, I was happy that I was gonna be able to spend more time with Zayn. He had now become one of my best friends; a very handsome best friend.

Before the boys went on tour, they had to shoot the music video for What Makes You Beautiful. Management planned out all of the locations and of course, one of them was at the beach and in the ocean. When Harry told us, I had to hide my laughter as I thought of Zayn having to film in the ocean.

The night before the shoot, the boys came over and had a campfire at our house. Zayn and I sat in folding chairs next to each other.

Emily: So did you tell them?

Zayn: No but I have to. I think I'll tell them tomorrow before we get in the water. That way if something happens they'll have to rescue me.

We laughed.

The next day we had to wake up at 5am for shoot day. I threw on the most comfortable clothes I had and put my blonde hair into a ponytail. When I went downstairs, Harry was barely staying awake as he grabbed a granola bar from the cabinet. I grabbed one as well and we headed to the shoot.

Even though we had to be up so early, the shoot didn't really get underway until 9am. Luckily, mom said we didn't have to stay all day since she had to run errands. She just wanted to make sure Harry was comfortable and didn't have any anxiety. The first location they shot at was the beach. The first shots were of them just running. I never realized how boring a shoot could be. I sat on a beach chair behind the camera resting my head in my hand. Then it came time for them to film running through the water. My interest was peaked as I ran as close as I could without being in the shot. I the boys graciously run through the water; except Zayn. Each take, he ran completely hunched over with his hands trying to touch the ground. He was so stubborn I knew they would have to use a shot that wasn't focused on him.

After 3 days, the shoot was finally over for the video. Now it was time for our first tour.