"What? Who's Julian? What things? For how long? Is that where you were last night?" He demanded, setting his coffee down to cross the living room after Adam. I felt my cheeks pinken. Jeez, they didn't even know who I was and I'd been coming over here for years? Then again, I had only caught glimpses of his parents. They very rarely appeared at the house, and I remembered Adam having a babysitter a good amount of the time.

"Julian's my boyfriend. He's the guy at the door." Adam called from his room as he gathered his things. His father stopped dead in his tracks at the hallway, then whipped around to stare at me. His mother looked at me too and I stiffened before giving them an awkward wave.

"Ah, hi." I tried.

"B-Boyfriend? Wait, what's that supposed to mean?!" His mother cried, turning back to the hallway as Adam came out with a duffelbag tossed over his shoulder, his other hand neatly placed in a new sling. His father looked like he wanted to grab Adam and rip him back, but with Adam's wounded shoulder facing him, there was no way of doing it without hurting him-- Not to mention, grabbing Adam was like jumping on a tiger.

A death sentence.

"Guess it slipped my mind," Adam said, pausing in the middle of the living room, giving his parents a deadpan stare as they came to stand next to each other, "I'm gay. I probably would've told you before, but, you know, work got in the way. School. Band practice. Speaking of which, Julian, I can't grab my guitar." I blinked, then nodded quickly and rushed past Adam and his gawking parents to his room.

His guitar sat neatly in its stand near his bed. I was surprised by how clean it was. Obviously Adam didn't spend a lot of time in his room. I picked up his guitar gently, placing it in its case before locking it up. I got up, carrying it out, but walking slowly as I watched Adam respond calmly to his frantic parents.

"Adam, you can't be serious," His father protested, "I mean, being gay... It's just..."

"Oh right," Adam nodded, shifting his weight to one leg, "You're probably not into that kinda thing, but that's fine. I won't bother you with it. I actually wasn't going to tell you at all, but seeing as I brought my boyfriend over and I'm staying at his place for a while... Yeah."

"B-But," His mother sputtered, shaking her head and clasping her forehead, "You can't... What about your school and the work and--"

"Never said I was skipping school."

"Adam, this is way too sudden," His father tried again, making Adam glance at him out the corner of his eye, "Can't we sit down and talk about this? I mean, your mother and I--"

"You guys never really had time to talk to me," Adam answered emotionlessly, "And right now, I really don't have time to talk to you." He went to the door, gesturing me out first. His parents were still stuttering and his mother made a distressed squeak sound as Adam took a hold of the door handle, glancing back at them.

"Doesn't feel so nice, does it?" He asked, then shut the door rather loudly, making me wince. He walked past me across the porch and down the steps as I hurried after him.

"Did you really have to be so... blunt?" I asked as Alexander popped the truck so we could put Adam's things in. Adam dropped the duffel bag inside, pausing to stare at it before looking up. His expression was still placid, so I wasn't too sure what was going on in his head, but something told me whatever it was, he was guarding it close.

"There was actually a point in my life when I forgot what my parents looked like. I think that says enough about how I feel about them." He answered. I winced as he took the guitar case from me, settling it inside before he stepped back and slammed the trunk shut. We got back in the car and drove away.