Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen (Julian)

I woke up to the spicy, manly smell of Adam John Wayne in my bed.

I opened my eyes, blinking a few times to focus in on the fact that he was lying beside me, still deep asleep with his sore arm in its sling and his pants still off. I blushed hard, propping myself up on my elbow to peer up at him, then down at myself to see that he'd pulled the blankets over me. I glanced up at him, touching his good arm, but he didn't wake up.

"Adam?" I asked quietly.

"Mmm..." He replied, probably mostly asleep. I smiled lightly and said nothing else as I slipped out of bed quietly. I pulled him down so his head was on the pillow and not the headboard. I tugged the blankets over top of him, getting him all settled before I went and showered. I changed into a pair of jeans and a black concert t-shirt before coming back out to see that Adam was still asleep.

It didn't surprise me. Even last night, though he wouldn't admit it, he looked exhausted and the strain was making him even more tired. I felt a little guilty, but he was the one who started it, so it's not like it was totally my fault. I yawned, rubbing at my eye as I went to the door, unlocking it and slipping out before shutting it behind me.

Hopefully no one would mistakenly walk in.

I cleared my throat, to make sure that if anyone was awake, they'd know I was leaving my room. I stretched my arms before heading down the hall, down the two little steps, then around the corner to the kitchen. To my relief, Vladimir was in there with a big glass of blood as he stared down at his cell phone. I frowned.

"What's up?" I asked, getting into the fridge. Vladimir glanced up, then back down.

"Waiting for a phone call from that friend I mentioned. Newt only answers his phone at certain times of the day." He responded. I wrinkled my nose at that, walking over to lean on the counter beside him, watching the name of the contact. I blinked.

Newt?

"His name is Newt?" I asked. Vladimir paused, tilting his head.

"Well... Actually, that's the name he prefers to be called. His real name is--" Vladimir was cut off as his phone rang and he brought it to his ear so fast that I barely caught the movement.

"Hello? Yes, this.... Yes, this is extremely important, I promise you. Otherwise, I wouldn't call you... It has something to do with those powers. Yes. Yes, absolutely.... Actually, no. It's Alexander's younger brother, Julian. He's showing signs of... That. Yes. I'm positive. That's why I called you... Silver Stone. It's a small town in Michigan. I'd used a GPS. It's not even on the map it's so small... Right. Okay, here's the address." He went on to tell the guy my address before he hung up, sighing in relief as he held his cell phone to his forehead.

"Looks like Lady Luck is on our side. Newt's in Detroit right now. He should be here in a couple hours. In the mean time, you have to stay home where it's safe. Going out is extremely dangerous." Vladimir advised. I nodded, taking gulps of my breakfast as Vladimir tucked his cell phone away. I averted my eyes before looking back as he finished his breakfast, placing the glass in our dishwasher.

"Can I see Mr. Takahashi? Is he okay?" I asked at last. I hadn't heard anything about Mr. Takahashi and my parents wouldn't say anything. He was staying in the guest room and I hadn't even had a chance to see him yet. Vladimir paused, studying the floor before shrugging.

"Let's go see, shall we?" He offered. I nodded, finishing my glass and putting it away before we went down the hallway to the very end where the other guest room was waiting in silence. Vladimir opened the door first, letting me in behind him. The room was dimly lit, the lamps having been turned down.