Welcome to the Glade

Začít od začátku

"Course," Newt turned to Greenbean 1. "Okay. Alby's goanna show you everything else. I'll see you and Greenbean 2 around," he walked off, playfully rubbing Greenbean 2's hair, much to his annoyance. 

"Sorry to rush this. But I've got something special planned tonight," Alby pulled the newbies away but Greenbean 1's focus seemed to stay on Newt until Greenbean 2 turned his head forward. 

Alby took the boys to a tall branchless tree with three platforms built around it. Carefully they climbed up to the tallest level. 

They looked out at the Glade, watching all the boys do their chores like gardening, farming, cooking, chopping...

"This is all we've got," Alby continued. "If you guys respect this place, we'll all get along just fine," 

"You seem to have a interesting community," Greenbean 2 observed. "You guys must work very hard," 

"We do. And that's why it's important that we can't let it all go to waste," 

"What's out there?" Greenbean 1 pointed towards the narrow gap between the two stone walls lying yards ahead of them. 

"We have three rules. First. Do your part. No freeloading. Two. Never harm another Glader. None of this works unless we have trust. And most importantly..." he stepped closer to them. "Never go beyond those walls. You understand me?" 

The boys glanced at each other. Then back at Alby. They nodded. 

"Hey Alby!" a voice called from below. They looked down to see a smaller kid with ruffled brown hair. "Hey Chuck!" Alby called down. He led the two boys down the ladder. 

"Name's Chuck," he offered a hand. 

Greenbean 2 shook it. "Nice to meet you Chuck," 

"Feels great not to be the new Greenie anymore," 

"You were the last one before us," Greenbean 1 asked. 

"Yep. Now come on. I'll take you guys to the sleeping quarters," 

Together the boys followed Chuck to a massive hut with hammocks hanging everywhere. Chuck kindly tied them up for them. As he did, he began speaking. "It's the same story for all of us...we wake up in the Box, Alby gives us the tour..." 

But the boys weren't really listening. They were sitting and staring out at the massive gap between the walls. They were curious. Too curious. 

Greenbean 1 walked forward. Greenbean 2 followed. He got annoyed. "Hey why are you following me?" 

"I'm just as curious as you are," 

"Doesn't mean you have to do what I do," 

Greenbean 2 just chuckled slightly and Greenbean 1 rolled his eyes. They were just nearing the entrance when they heard "Woah Woah!". They turned and saw Chuck panting as he was running up to them. "You guys aren't supposed to go there!"

"We're just taking a look," Greenbean 2 said. 

"Okay. But don't go inside. If Alby sees you two do that, he'll be mad," 

The boys remained where they were. Then out of the corner of their eye, they saw two boys running out of the maze. One looked like he was Asian. And the other had blond hair.  

"Hey Chuck," The Asian said. "New Greenie uh?" 

"Two Greenies this time," Chuck gestured to the boys. 

The runners stopped and stared at the two Newbies. 

"That's impossible," the Asian one said. 

"I know right," Chuck said. 

"How does it feel to be promoted?" the other runner with blond hair asked. 

"Feels great Ben," Chuck answered as they ran off again. 

"I thought no one was allowed the leave," Greenbean 1 stated. 

"No, we are not allowed to leave," Chuck answered. "They're different. They're runners. They know about the maze," 

The last word caught Greenbean 2's attention. "Wait? What did you say?"

Chuck froze. "Said what?" 

"You said something about a maze," 

Chuck sighed. He had given it away. "Look, we're not allowed to the leave. The runners are the only ones who know what's out there," 

The boys accepted his answer...but that didn't stop their curiosity. They walked forward a little bit more. 

"Hey!" a voice shouted from the side. 

Before they could even address the speaker, Greenbean 2 was suddenly pushed in the side and he pummelled into Greenbean 1 who fell with him. They looked up and saw it was the same guy called Gally who had hauled them out of the box. 

"We gotta stop meeting like this," he said, not caring even the slightest that he had pushed them. 

Greenbean 2 kicked his leg and he cried out. He stood up. "Keep your hands to yourself!" 

Gally growled and tried to hit him but Greenbean 1 quickly got up and pushed him back. "Leave him alone!" 

Greenbean 2 was quite touched that the other Greenie was protecting him...like on instinct. The whole charade turned into a debacle that attracted the attention of other boys. They crowed around the three boys asking them what the whole fight was about. 

"What the hell is wrong with you guys?!" Greenbean 1 demanded. 

"Just calm down!" Newt  shouted. 

"Why won't you tell us what's there?!" snapped Greenbean 2. 

"We're just trying to protect you," Alby ushered, trying to act gentle. 

"You can't just keep us here!" Greenbean 1 snapped. 

"I get you either of you leave!" Ably retorted. 

"Why won't you tell us what's about out there?!" demanded Greenbean 2 again. 

But before they could get an answer, there was a sudden rumble. Then a suddenly clanking like gear wheels were turning. They turned around and saw two massive doors sliding out of the walls, closing the gap that led out into the maze. 

Gally walked closely at Greenbean 2. "Next time...I'm gonna let you leave," 

Greenbean 1 couldn't help but feel that he needed to protect Greenbean 2. "Back off," 

Gally just glared and waddled away with the others. 

Alby looked at them. "Welcome to the Glade. It's for your own good guys. You can't leave this place. Understand?" 

The boys nodded. 

"Come on. I'll explain everything to you two later," Newt swung an arm around Greenbean 1's shoulders and pulled him away. Chuck took Greenbean 2's hand and gently pulled him away too. But the Greenbeans looked back at the closed walls then a glance at each, a glance that said: I think I know. They were beginning to recognise each other. How strange it was. 

Another chapter done. Please let me know what you all thought. I really would like reviews. And please can you add reviews to the first two chapters as well please. That would be most helpful.