Chapter Fourteen

'Hey, good day?’ Newt greeted me when I sat down at dinner. Minho raised his head but didn’t stop eating, Thomas looked at me for an inappropriate amount of time and Chuck grinned goofily at me. 

‘Fine, boring actually, nothing to do,’ I shrugged, scooting in next to Chuck, basically the only Glader who wasn’t - A. Romantically involved with me. B. Ignoring me. C. Suspicious of me summoning Grievers. D. Overly sarcastic.

‘But Gally left this morning, so theres no one making pissy comments as I do my job,’ I said, trying to look cheerful. 

‘Just as long as you’re not in the Maze anymore,’ Newt said. 

‘I meant to ask about that - am I allowed to run once in a while?’ I asked hopefully. 

‘It’s not a hobby, Lia. You don’t just do it whenever the day feels right and you’re bored stitching up faces or whatever,’ Minho said.

‘You know what I mean,’ I said, casting him a serious look. 

Newt shook his head. ‘No.’ 

‘What do you mean, no?’ 

‘I mean, no. It’s way to dangerous. The only ones stupid enough to go out there now are these two and sometimes Ably. You’re way to inexperienced to go out when it’s this dangerous,’ Newt said, gesturing to Thomas and Minho.

Minho just chuckled but Thomas looked annoyed.

‘What about in a few weeks? When everything kinda back to normal?’ I asked.

I never got to here the answer because Thomas interrupted, speaking harshly to Newt. 

‘It’s her choice, Newt. If she wants to put herself in that danger, then it’s ultimately not up to you.’

I saw Thomas’s point and I felt grateful that he was arguing for me, but Newt was right. He was just trying to make sure I was safe and I was too inexperienced right now. 

‘It’s not her choice actually. It’s the Keepers choice. And when we say something is too dangerous for someone who’s been here three weeks with little experience and has a record of almost dying in the Maze very recently in the company of a Runner - then NO, she can’t run - yet.’

Newt’s voice was calm but authoritative. 

‘Just because you did something stupid in the Maze years ago-‘ Thomas began before Newt interrupted.

‘Really, Thomas? That’s enough. Shut your shucking hole and get out of here,’ Newt snapped.

Thomas seemed to regret saying something, and he’d realised he’d done something wrong - though I don’t know what. Clearly Newt’s made mistakes in the past as well…

‘I didn’t mean-‘

Go.

‘Fine,’ he stood up quickly, pushing his chair back and left. No one at the table spoke or argued.

‘What’s he talking about, Newt? What happened?’ I asked, thinking of his limp and wondering if the incident Thomas was talking about had anything to do with it.

‘Nothing. Just forget about it. Please?’ Newt looked anxious so I agreed. 

‘Yeah, okay.’ 

Late that night as I was standing under the shower, letting the water pour over me, guilt still plagued my stomach.