Chapter Ten

The next morning I woke up with numb arms and drool on my pillow. I immediately remembered the previous nights events and wished I could be swallowed up into the earth. There was no way I could face Newt today - he probably thinks I’m I creep who throws herself at boys. 

But I knew I would never be allowed to stay in bed all day without a valid reason. So I dragged myself out of bed and went to the showers. 

When I was all cleaned up, I dried my hair till it was soft and billowy. 

Satisfied, I left the Homestead and made my way, slowly, over to where Newt and the Medjacks were, taking the long route to delay my inevitable arrival. I made my way upstairs, to see Clint changing Newts bandage. ‘Morning,’ I said quietly, keeping my head down. 

‘Hey, Lia,’ Clint called. Newt tried to make eye contacts with me but I wouldn’t comply. 

‘Lia, can you tie of this bandage, I’m clueless.’ Clint said. 

Reluctantly, I took the bandage from Clint and began tying it off. 

‘You can look at me, you know, Lia,’ Newt whispered, when Clint was out of earshot.

I said nothing in reply. 

‘What’s the matter? Why did you just run off?’ Newt pressed. 

‘It was a mistake, Newt. It was stupid to kiss you.’ 

Newt looked hurt. ‘I’m sorry, Newt.’ 

Later that day, Ben was banished. I didn’t go to watch and I didn’t let Newt watch either, but I heard the boys screams and pleads to the Keepers as they pushed him out. It was horrible and I went into the other room and blocked my ears. Newt looked upset when I came back in. I told him it was probably for the best. He just nodded.

Other than that, the day proceeded as usual, but Newt and I avoided talking to each other. I only asked him non-personal questions about how he was feeling every so often. When night fell, I noticed something was going on outside. There was a huge bonfire, and instead of eating inside, all the Gladers were gathered around the fire. There was a sort of music and the Gladers were talking and laughing. 

‘What’s going on out there?’ I asked Clint. 

‘I dunno, we do this every so often. It’s fun I suppose.’ 

Chuck came up the stairs then, talking loudly and excitedly. 

‘You guys coming?’ He said, hopefully. 

I looked at Clint and he shrugged. ‘Yeah I’spose we could,’ I said. 

Clint left with Chuck right away, leaving me alone with Newt. 

‘Can I go with you?’ He asked. 

I hesitated.’I’m not sure…’ Newt sighed. ‘You want me to stay here in my bed and listen while you guys have a good time? Seems like rubbing it in my face a bit, don’t you think?’ 

‘Okay, fine! Just be careful, okay?’ I gave in. 

I helped him out of bed and downstairs, although he acted like he didn’t really need it.

At the party, he went off and sat down beside the fire with Ably, Thomas and Minho. 

Chuck and I sat away from the fire, hiding partly in the shadows away from the group under a big tree, sitting mostly in silence, sometimes chatting, until a boy came and sat down beside me. I recognised him as one of my patients from my first day as a Med-jack. A boy named Simon, who I remembered to be slightly creepy.