Chapter Three.

We were back in Homestead, sitting at the benches and eating the  brown slop, this time accompanied by a few vegetables from the gardens. 

I sat at a bench with Newt, Thomas, Minho and one other small, chubby boy who couldn’t be older that twelve. I picked at my meal, nudging it around with my fork.

‘You’re gonna have to eat sometime, Greenie,’ Mihno said, nodding at my plate. ‘You cant go on like this forever. I don’t know what you’re used to eating but here this is what we eat.’ 

‘My names Lia,’ I said softly. He merely shrugged. 

He was speaking meanly, like he thought I was too snobby or something for the meals that they ate. The other Gladers at the table nodded in agreement and I felt a burning hatred for them all, even Newt. 

‘We can’t have you underfed and having not enough energy to do your share of the work around here, so eat up, Greenie,’ Minho continued between mouthfuls. 'Wouldn't want to be a slacker, would you?' 

‘It’s Lia,’ I said, more forcefully, my hatred turning into anger. How could they do this to me? I was new in this strange place with no memory, and they treated me like some kind of criminal. 

Newt turned to me after a few moments, ‘Tomorrow you’ll be working in with the Slicers,’ he informed me, like he’d just decided. 

‘What’s that?’ 

‘Butchering animals, carving up meat.’ 

What’s his game? I thought, infuriated, punishing me for not eating? 

I stood up from the table, knocking my plate a bit and stormed out of the hall. Every boys head had turned towards me and silence fell as they watched me storm out, hands balled into fists. 

Just a short chapter... not really sure if anyones reading anyways.  *__* Night! xx #NEWT