"But.. I'm your assistant.." I spoke, hesitantly.

"You will also be my date for that night," he explained. "Sure, we're going there for potential deals, but all eyes will be on you. I can't allow you to show up in something.. bland. Since you are, after all, my personal assistant."

I felt my cheeks warm at the emphasis on the 'personal'. To hide my blush, I nodded in understanding, purposely letting my hair fall over my face.

"Be ready by 7. See you on Friday, Ms. Ross," he concluded, and I noticed a faint smirk playing around on his lips.

My mouth was slightly opened in shock. Realizing that I was staring, I gulped down air and put on a professional

"Yes, of course," I said, and turned on my heel, walking out of his office with a jumbled mind.

What even was that? I thought, not believing what I saw. Seeing him smile was new to me. It kind of creeped me out.

I took the elevator to the first floor, and went to the reception desk. I examined the four new women sitting at the desk, each talking with other workers. Some giving directions to where the rooms were and some making conversations with other employees. I didn't see Rosalyn, which made me a little disappointed. She was friendly, and I wished to see her today.

Receptionists usually change shifts each week. So every week, there would be a different receptionist. I don't know why, but it's Mr. Verlice's rules. The same receptionists can take a shift for a week after the new ones leave, which gave me hope that I would see Rosalyn.

I strutted over to a receptionist conversing with a male employee. She had short, straight brown hair and full, red lips. Her ears were full of piercings, and her nails were painted a light shade of pink. She frowned, looking me up and down for a second before giving me a professional smile.

"How may I help you?" She said, her voice strained in an attempt to sound nice.

"Yes, I'm here to check out," I said, giving her my work ID.

She took the card between two fingers, and skimmed her green eyes over it. "Ms. Ross?" She sounded confused for a second before her eyes opened wide. "Ohh.. you're the new assistant!"

Her loud voice attracted the attention of other employees, who were mostly female. I could sense their scrutinizing eyes and chose to pay them no mind. "Yes, I am," I said, taking back my card.

I looked at her nametag, which said 'Yonda'. Yonda raised her head and sat up straighter to seem taller, but since she was sitting down, she was shorter than me.

"Check out, right?" Yonda gave me a smile, but it was full of spite. I nodded in reply "Sure."

She looked back to her computer, clicking on a tab before typing something. I waited as she checked me out, crossing my arms and looking around the room, meeting the eyes of the female workers.

They stared at me, looking me up and down like Yonda did, rudely, as if they were trying to find a single blemish. The look in their eyes showed me they were not friendly. I raised an eyebrow at their stares and they seemed to get the message that I didn't like it, turning around and going back to whatever they were doing before.

Yonda looked back at me. "You're ready to go," she said. I nodded, turned to the wide entrance and walked towards it. "And don't come back," she whispered under her breath.

She unfortunately wasn't quiet enough since I heard it. I looked back at her with a glare, quickly shutting her up. She gave me a smile as if she didn't say anything wrong. I rolled my eyes and turned around, pushing the glass doors open.