Chapter Twenty Four

Start from the beginning

Just then, a panicked Rowan shot into the room. Instantly, Azriel growled and launched himself at him, pinning him to the wall with his hands around his throat. I was momentarily stunned, never having this level of unprovoked rage from my brother before. However, I was immediately on board with whatever his plan was as he snarled at Rowan, "I should kill you for what you did to her."

Rowan didn't even fight back, looking utterly gutted. Cassian stepped forward threateningly, growling, "What did you do?"

He refused to respond, seemingly incapable of words. Az's hands inched closer to his daggers as I snarled at Rowan, "Tell us what happened or I swear on the Cauldron I'll let Azriel demonstrate why he is my lead interrogator."

He lifted his eyes to mine, gaze despondent and empty. "Take it," he rasped out, "show them."

I grasped his understanding and immediately dove into his open mind, broadcasting the memory to myself and my brothers. I felt my rage growing as we watched a clearly vulnerable Aelin tell Rowan that they were mates, which would have absolutely gutted me before Helion's reveal. What gutted me now, however, was the clear devastation and betrayal evident in Aelin's eyes when Rowan told her that he already knew.

When Aelin turned and bolted from the room, I let the memory fade. Gritting my teeth so hard my jaw ached, I forced myself to take several deep, calming breathes. This was one of her mates, Aelin would be angry with me if I killed him.

Slowly, I uttered out, "Why. The fuck. Would you say that?"

Rowan looked completely broken, and if I weren't near-trembling from rage, I might feel sympathy for the poor bastard. But it was also my mate, my goddess, that he hurt with his thoughtless words, so he wouldn't find an ounce of pity from me. If the fierce glares from Cassian and Azriel were any indication, he wouldn't any from them either.

Despondently, he finally spoke, "She doesn't want to be my mate. You saw how hesitant she was. I've done too much, hurt her too many times for her to ever forgive me."

A dry chuckle stopped me from process that particular statement, and we all turned to see Amren standing in the entryway. She slowly moved towards us while laughing wryly. "Gods, you two really are perfect for each other, aren't you?" Rowan whipped his head towards her, eyes narrowed as she continued, "Thank the cauldron it's not just you, otherwise we would all be doomed."

I wanted to roll my eyes, of course Amren already knew about the mate situation. I shouldn't even be surprised at this point. I really need to sit her down to determine how much she knew about Aelin and her role in Prythian. As of now, she seemed determined to get under Rowan's skin as she pushed on mockingly, "Poor little fae prince can't even tell his mate that he is love with her."

Rowan finally snapped back, "Shut. Up. You don't know anything about my relationship with my mate. Stay out of it. She. Is. Mine."

My skin was itching with irritation, every moment we spend having this asinine conversation was another moment that my mate was alone and upset. Surprisingly, it was Azriel who finally barked out a harsh, "Enough."

The room went silent at Az's remark, and he turned towards me, a request in his eyes. I nodded my agreement and Azriel turned back to Rowan, staring him down steadily, "You may be her mate. But you aren't the only one."

Rowan snarled fiercely, moving as if he meant to attack Azriel. I raised my hand, a snap of my magic momentarily holding him in place before he broke it. He turned his rage-filled eyes towards me as I said, as softly as I could manage with rage and terror for Aelin coursing through me, "You need to listen to what he has to say. You won't like it, but you need to know."