Chapter 25 - Affinities and power

The room Michael had prepared for me was his study on the sixth floor. His desk had been moved to the far side of the room, while multiple giant machines were set up throughout. Finally, he had attempted to make things more... Welcoming? By placing vases of flowers around the room and at all four corners of the queen-sized bed that stood in the center. It looked terrible, which just made my smile bigger. Flustered, he apologized once again.

"This is fine Michael. I'm just happy that you seem to have a plan for this." He looked a bit relieved, but only a bit. "Is it ok if I sit with you for a bit? I'm not really tired at the moment." Beside his desk a second chair appeared out of thin air.

"Of course, have a seat." On his desk were massive texts. Throughout their pages were inserts and bookmarks and every single one of them was open. Scattered atop them were various pages with scribblings and diagrams in multiple languages. "Don't mind the mess." He laughed nervously, obviously embarrassed. His blush was so cute.

"I've seen how great minds work, I don't mind at all." He quickly looked away, focusing on the book in front of him. "By the way, I didn't get the chance to ask you earlier, were you able to tell what my affinity was?"

"Ah, yes I was." His face fell slightly like he was having difficulty saying it, "You have an affinity with every element." Compared to that of a person with a single affinity, a Jack of all trades could cast every element, but there was huge downside to this. If a Jack of all trades were to cast the same spell as that of a person with a single affinity, it would simply be weaker overall. Compared to this, Julia was a dual affinity caster. She had all the strength plus the ability to use two elements. To anyone else, this would be considered a fault.

"Good, then I don't have to worry about specialising." It was exactly what I'd wanted. I get to learn it all!

He laughed, "I see, well I am glad you think so Miss." He reached his hand out and it once again disappeared into thin air. He pulled two tea cups out, handing me one. While I held it he instructed, "Think of any tea you wish to drink Miss." My thoughts immediately went to orange pekoe. Tea began rising from the bottom of the glass until it was perfectly filled, the familiar scent becoming me to drink.

"How did you do that?"

"Which, producing the two cups or filling them with tea?" I could see he took his tea without cream, the colour was nearly black.

"Both."

"Ah. I've created my own pocket dimension. From there I can store whatever I wish. The tea wasn't me, however. These cups are artifacts, capable of mimicking any tea you can think of, so long as you've already tried it before. It cannot mimic the benefits or effects of the original, however. Only the flavor."

"Can I learn how to create my own pocket dimension?" The tea tasted exactly like the boxed stuff from home.

"Yes, if you work hard at it. It's not something that can be taught in a book and takes a lot of effort to master."

"If I can't learn it from a book, does it mean only someone who's mastered it can teach me?"

"Yes, Eclis has already told me he intends to find you a good teacher, so you won't have to worry about that." He smiled again.

"By the way, do you mind if I ask what all these notes are?" The table looked like an explosion of books and paper.

"Ah, yes. This is how I research. Everything here is my own personal collection on world travels."

"Really? So, my experience isn't the only time this has happened?" It was exciting to hear. I wondered what experience those before me had.

"No, though it is exceedingly rare. There have been known cases but they've all been from before the Empire was formed so much of the information on it has been burned or lost to time."

"Strange. It's been a thousand years since the Empire formed right? I wonder why two suddenly show up now." He paused in the middle of sipping his tea.

"There is another?"

"Yep! Julia, the protagonist of the novel. Though her entire body is teleported here, whereas for me its just my soul." Michael began to reach for a tome flipping through it to one of the bookmarked pages. He then grabbed a page at random and started madly scribbling.

"Do you happen to know if Julia came here first, or you?"

"Julia did, she would have been here a year I think before I've arrived. Maybe two. The novel starts well after she came so I'm not entirely clear on that part."

"It's odd it wouldn't start at the beginning."

"Well, it did. It starts at the beginning of her journey here, to the Empire."

"I see."

"Why? Do you think it is related?"

"It's hard to come to a conclusion on it with so few examples of the phenomenon but I never ignore new information." He looked me with a serious expression.

"Actually, I had been meaning to ask you. Are you able to show me the language from your world?" For a mage, language was vital since there were many that commanded power in this world. Understanding multiple languages allowed mages to increase the power and understanding of the words they used. Naturally he'd be curious.

"I'd figured you'd ask. I'd noticed some of the symbols you were using are ones used in spells in my world so it might help." I'd dabbled in witchcraft in my boredom at home.

"I'd be happy too." I answered in English. His eyes widened.

"What do you call this language in your world?" He was speaking English too. It was my turn to be surprised.

"Wait, does English exist here too?" It was never mentioned in the novel. How is this possible?

"Jasmine," He was so surprised, he'd forgotten my title, "You are speaking the Elder language." He spoke in an odd accent compared to me.

"Huh." I didn't know what to say... "Then... If that's the case, why was the spell to form the contract with Eclis gibberish."

His eyes were intense now, "You can create spells like that by stringing together gibberish, so long as you understand the intent of the spell you're casting in the Elder language. Vampires do this to protect the secret of this language, so that others hearing it can never learn it." Uh oh.

"Its going to be a problem for me if anyone finds out I can speak this." I switched back to Common. If there is one thing the Empire does not do well, its sharing power.

"What other languages do you know?" He switched back as well, a mystified look in his eyes.

"Only English. Here I seem to just know Common and Abyssal." He considered me for a moment.

"What language do you think in?" What an odd question.

"English, of course."

"Jasmine." His intensity was unnerving, he seemed to realise this, taking a deep breath while leaning back. "Let's make a deal."

What sort of deal?"

"In exchange for my guidance on all things related to magic and the elder language, you must promise to speak the language in front of others. Most importantly, no one must ever learn its name." When I looked like I was going to protest he added, "Eclis may know. He will find out sooner or later anyways, but no one else." It wasn't a bad deal.

"You'll be my teacher then?"

"I'll have to be Miss." He seemed to be collecting himself again, "I can't just let a young girl run around knowing one of the most powerful languages in our world, can I?" His kind smile returned. It really wasn't a bad deal...

"If you can solve my mana problem, then I'll agree."

"Then let's sign a contract." Right. Promises were taken far more seriously here.

"Eyy, you haven't solved my mana problem yet." I gave him a cheeky grin. I hated commitments and regretted agreeing, even if it was conditional. "Anyways I am suddenly tired so..." My dress wasn't something I could get off alone. "I will need my maids... And for you to leave." Michael seemed confused for a moment, but realization over what I meant brought a blush to his face.

"Ah, yes allow me to go fetch them." He left before I could tell him I had a summoning stone.