Chapter 18 - I'm trapped

Eclis' arm was like a vice, securing me in his lap. He held me just loose enough that I couldn't bruise myself trying to get off, but after a moment struggling it was apparent there was no escape. Defeated, I tried to look him in the eyes and realized that I couldn't. Too Close!

"How long do I have to stay here." I sounded out of breath. Calm down Jazz, you're just sitting in his lap.

"Until I'm satisfied." I blushed at his choice of words. "So. You were saying."

"I was saying?"

"About your world." He picked up the quill with his right hand and began signing documents again. At least I could read the language here. He went through them so quickly that I only got glimpses of what he was working on. Trade agreements, border disputes, proposed alliances. Now that he was back it seemed everyone in the Empire wanted a piece of him.

"Its really safe." He stayed silent. The silence persisted until I relented, talking to fill in the void. "In my world there's only humans. I'm from a wealthy country, because of that there's never been a war there. I'd never even been physically threatened before. I've never had to hit someone, never had to worry about whether I'd survive..." I trailed off remembering the prison. At the time all I let myself focus on was escape, but looking back a wave of terror washed over me. "It was boring."

"Boring? I didn't think I'd ever meet a human who would call such a utopia boring. A world of only humans?" He smirked, but it was a mocking gesture. Right. Eclis hates humans. Of course he would. He'd fought a war that lasted centuries only to be betrayed by the last 'good' humans he left in his life.

"It's not a Utopia. Outside my country there are wars. Famines, genocide. People hate each other. We don't need another race as an excuse to kill. They just have to look different enough, or worship differently than us." For a while only the sounds of the screens shifting their displays filled the room. "At least in my world women are free." When he didn't answer I decided to continue anyways. Anything to take my mind off the feel of his body.

"Here women are just property. You have to walk right, talk right, look good." The disgust in my voice was palpable, "Your worth is measured by the quality of man at your side.... And god forbid if you want to do anything that isn't the norm." I did really love this story, but I didn't like the little box Julia had to fit in. So many bad things happened too her and all she could do was be saved by the man each time.

"I won't hold you to those standards Jazz." I tilted my head and braved looking at his face. When his eyes met mine, my heart skipped a beat. "You're my sacrifice. Do what ever you want. I don't care what others will think of you because you're already mine." I tucked my head under his chin so he couldn't see my expression. I'm his. EEE.

"What if what I want to do means leaving this palace..."

"So long as you come back that's fine. You'll have a knight with you of course."

"You mean a guard?"

"A knight." His tone said there was no arguing that point. Ah. So, he does intend for me to take a personal knight. There was no way I was opening myself up to that. Let's change the subject and hope he forgets.

"So are you... Satisfied yet?"

"No." My hopes were dashed. I sulked against his chest for a time. After a while, my body became stiff because of how tense I was holding myself. While I was adjusting myself into a more comfortable position he spoke.

"Tell me about yourself." What a broad question.

"That's far to general. My names Jazz and I like cats."

"Then you like animals."

"Yep, all kinds. Every kind. If I could turn into one at will, I probably would never be a human again. I also want to meet a dragon some day."

"A dragon? Are all women from your world as fearless as you?" I liked how he sounded when he was joking.

"Nah. I wouldn't call myself fearless either. I'm a very lazy person."

"yet you want to leave the palace, a place where you needn't lift a finger for yourself, so you can go and meat a dragon." His voice was very doubtful.

"Yep. What about you." It was tiring talking only about me.

"Wouldn't you know, since you've read a novel about me?"

"It's in the perspective of Julia, so no. Aside from what you've said to her I don't know what you're thinking or what you want. You've changed a lot from the novel already anyways." It was really warm. I'd forced myself to relax and the soreness in my body started to abate. A lot of time passed before he finally answered, snapping me fully awake again. I can't sleep here.

"I wanted to destroy Tyrra once I got out."

"You wanted to? So, you don't anymore?" It's understandable he'd hold a grudge having had a thousand years stolen from him.

"At first the thought gave me comfort... Eventually I realized I didn't want to live the rest of my life at war." For all the times he sounded so practiced and neutral, right now I could hear the exhaustion and resignation he felt. I placed my hand on his in sympathy.

"Then what about now? What do you want now?" He stopped what he was doing to look at me. The pause between us lengthened and I noticed just how close our lips were.

Before I got my answer the study's door burst open. The only other person in the novel who would dare brave disturbing Eclis in his study was Heinrick. He swaggered into the room like he owned the place but stopped dead in his tracks after witnessing the scene.

"OHO. If I knew I were about to interrupt something I would've knocked." Whenever Heinrick spoke his voice boomed. He fell into one of the leather chairs with a giant grin on his face. Eclis glared at him.

"If you're interrupting something, wouldn't it be proper to leave instead?" Heinrick fearlessly smiled despite the hostility in Eclis' voice.

"But then I'd get to miss this." He gestured broadly at us and a blush flushed my face. I pushed myself away from Eclis but he still wouldn't release me. Since Heinrick was now watching I was reluctant to give in so easily but there really was no winning here.

"What do you want Heinrick?" Eclis' arm tightened around me pinning me to his chest. I finally gave up. Until he's satisfied, he says.

"Well to see you of course. My old friend is finally back from the dead." Heinrick's face suddenly became grim. He leaned forward, "I would've visited you in prison too, had they let me." The emperor had forbidden any of Eclis' vassals from rescuing him for fear of starting a new war. Even now, Heinrick and James' movements were being monitored on suspicion that they helped him escape. Perhaps this was his way of saying he was sorry for not coming. The room got chillier. While Eclis being half mad contributed to their falling out, the reality was that Eclis couldn't forgive Heinrick or James for abandoning him there. He'd been betrayed by his sacrifices and abandoned by those he thought were loyal too him. He never found out just what Heinrick had done trying to save him.

"Heinrick, I heard you're a master with every weapon imaginable." The atmosphere here could be sliced with a butterknife. Thankfully, my words did the trick. The tension was broken. Once Eclis knew the novels contents, I was sure he'd be able to forgive Heinrick. I just couldn't let them fight until then.

"So am I." Eclis answered coldly.

Henrick's carefree grin reappeared, "That I am lass. I can even kill a man with just my pinky." He wiggled it in front of him. When he'd appeared in the story it was during a dire moment to save Eclis who still hated him, so I only knew the serious side of Heinrick. Seeing this side of him made me smile.

"Then can you teach me?" I felt a little proud knowing I'd just shocked two vampires. They also spoke at the same time.

"To kill a man with your pinky?" Heinrick.

"Why did you ask him?" Eclis.

"That would be impossible. No, I just want to learn how to fight." I looked up at Eclis, "And you're too busy."