Chapter 21 - "You Can Speak Your Mind Without Jack."

Start from the beginning

Race snaps their attention towards him and gestures for them to cut it out.

Spot noticed, whispering something to Ace.

Within a few minutes, no one was glaring at Davey.

(Ace went around and smacked all of the ones glaring at Davey upside the head with his hat.)

"Look what we've done!" Davey exclaims, gesturing to all of the boroughs. "We've got Newsies from every pape-"

Albert elbows Race, smiling.

Race smiles.

"-and neighborhood here tonight." Davey states. "Tonight, you're making history." He tells them.

Cheers erupted from many Newsies.

"Tonight, we declare that we're just as much a part of the newspaper as any reporter or editor." Davey tells the Newsies. "We're done being treated like kids." He states, a smile forming on his lips.

Race saw some of the Brooklyn Newsies start clapping.

"From now on," Davey starts. "They will treat us as equals." He tells them.

More cheers erupt from the crowd.

"You wanna be talked to like an adult? Then, start acting like one." Jack walks out on the stage. " Don't just run your mouth." He tells him. "Make some sense."

A look of relief crossed Davey's face as he grinned. "And here's Jack!" He exclaims, gesturing to Jack.

The Newsies start cheering again.

Davey noticed a troubled look on Jack's face, causing his grin to falter and worry to flood through his bones.

Davey looks over to Race, who seemed to notice it too.

Jack seemed to be getting frustrated. "Alright! Alright!" He exclaims, quieting everyone down.

He saw Race whisper something to Albert and Blink.

Jack closed his eyes, sighing softly. "Pulitzer raised the price of papes without so much as a word to us and that was a lousy thing to do." He starts.

The Newsies cheer.

Jack could feel Davey's eyes on him from behind him.

Jack hated this. "So we go on and strike. Then, what happens?" He asks. "Pulitzer lowers the prices so we go back to work." He tells them.

He saw some boys smile, but he could hear whispering.

He could easily pick out the concerned whispers from the Manhattan boys, who knew something was wrong because they knew him.

"And a few weeks later, he hikes the price is back up." Jack tells them. "And don't think that he won't, so what do we do then?" He questions. "And what do we do if he raised his prices again after that?" He asks.

He saw confused looks shared between the Newsies, driving the knife, that was already in his heart, further into it.

"Fellas, we gotta be realistic." Jack sighs. "We don't work, we don't get paid." He reminds them. "How many days can you go without getting paid?" He asks. "However long, believe me, Pulitzer can go longer."

Jack saw some Newsies starting to realize what was happening.

Some boo.

Others still looked confused.

Race stares at his brother. What are you doing, Jack?

"But I have spoken to Mr. Pulitzer," Jack starts again. "He has given me his word; if we disband the Union, he will not raise the prices again for two years." He tells them. "He will even put it in writing!"

The Newsies boo.

Certain Manhattan Newsies looked betrayed.

Jack avoided Race's gaze like it was the plague as Race felt his heart shatter.

No... this isn't Jack speaking-

"I say we take the deal!" Jack's voice was louder now. "Go back to work knowing that our price is secure!" He tries to sound enthusiastic, but he couldn't. "All we have to do is vote 'No'! Vote 'No'!"

Tears stung Race's eyes as he looked down.

Newsies started leaving the Theater, others still booing Jack.

Race saw Spot going towards Jack, so he quickly followed.

Spot tries to attack Jack, but Race quickly grabbed him to stop him.

Slightly calmer than he was before, but still confused and angry, Spot looks at Race. Why'd you pull me away?

Race looks at Jack, tears blurring his vision.

Spot clenches his fists. How dare you make him cry.

Jack felt himself get pushed towards Bunsen, who shoves him the money.

There were more outbursts from the Newsies.

Race felt even more betrayed. He heard multiple people call his name when his eyes met Jack. "You're a traitor..." he whispers, before turning and running off.

"Race!" Albert and Henry shout.

Other Manhattan Newsies were helping others- like their boyfriends, depending on who they were and their reaction- like Blink held Mush as the smaller boy cried.

Jack watches him go, tears filling his own eyes.

Spot looks at Jack, deciding that it wasn't worth it and turning to go after Race, like multiple other Newsies had done.

Everyone else left the Theater not long after them.

Jack was left alone in the darkness of the empty Theater to all of his thoughts and regrets, the money from Pulitzer in his hand that rested against his chest.

1240 Words