Chapter 21

"Morning Carlos." Sara walked into the guest room where Carlos was packing something in his suitcase.

"Morning." He smiled at her. She stood there in a dress that reached her calves. "You look gorgeous."

"Thanks, Carlos. I was wondering if you wanted to go for a walk? I like to do that whenever I'm home. Nature here is better than anything close to Paris." Carlos smiled and nodded.

"I'd love to. I am familiar with the track and a bit of the hotel and the town it is in but not your home. For me, it has always been yet another track to race at, another city to stay in, nothing more. I'd like to get to know your home as your home, not another place to race in."

"Come on then, there is a little café on the way that has the most delicious waffles for breakfast, we'll have those so we don't need to eat anything now." They walked down the stairs, said goodbye to Melissa and said they would be home for afternoon tea with the family. This time Jasmin and Leon would join them as well. Afterwards, they would have a barbecue.

Within thirty minutes, they were sitting at a table outside of the café, waiting for their waffles.

"These are the best waffles I have ever tasted in my life. I don't know whether that is because there are so many memories with these waffles or they actually are the best waffles I have ever tasted but I always make sure to go here at least once whenever I am home."

"I'm curious to see how-"

"Sara! How wonderful to see you again, I have missed you my darling." Sara nearly flinched visibly. "It has been so long."

"Ilona, hi!" Sara stayed seated, she was not up for a conversation with Ilona. Not now and quite frankly, not ever.

"How are you my darling. It has been so long since I've seen you. You are still so gorgeous. I can't believe it has been so long since I've seen my daughter-in-law." Carlos nearly choked. Daughter-in-law? He knew of her previous marriage but had it not yet been finalised?

"Ilona, how many times do we need to tell you, I'm no longer your daughter-in-law." Ilona swatted it away.

"It has been so recent, I keep forgetting. Besides, who can forget such a lovely daughter-in-law? Noah made one big mistake letting you go."

"We didn't make a mistake having a divorce. We were not the right match for each other. I'm happier now than I was when I was married to him." Ilona rolled her eyes, still not convinced. For some reason, she had never made peace with the split between Sara and Noah.

"Maman, what are you doing here? We were going-" He stopped when he saw his ex-wife sitting at the table. "Sara!" Sara smiled widely and stood up to hug her ex-husband. It was a bit strange, to be so happy to see your ex-husband in Carlos' eyes. There would have to be a reason for them to split up. Carlos knew because they didn't have any romantic feelings for each other to continue as a married couple but they were still so close. How often did she contact him? Did she see him the way she saw Noah as well?

"How are you? How is your work?" Noah and Sara started talking. Carlos feeling a bit out. Ilona should have felt left out but she somehow got in some unnecessary which kept her from feeling left out, even though neither Sara nor Noah even really listened to the comment.

"We really should go. I'll talk to you later. It has been four months since I last spoke to you. We shouldn't let it get to that again." Carlos' ears figuratively perked up like a dog's would when he hears the word food. Four months was a long time, maybe they weren't that tight as he had feared from the conversation.

"Time will tell." Noah had to drag his mother away and Sara let a sigh of relief slip over her lips. She was so glad that was over. She still very well got along with Noah but with Ilona there to take every bit out of context, she did not feel at ease whatsoever. "Thank goodness." Sara breathed. "It's a shame of the waffles, they are cold now."