f o u r

4. Chances

"YOU TOOK MY father where?!" I yell at Loki

My father pushes himself in front of Loki. "We were testing a theory, Arabelle."

I shake my head. "I know that, but Pompeii? What if someone got hurt? What if something went sideways?"

Mobius places his hands on my shoulders. "Nothing went sideways. No one got hurt. Everything is fine."

"Yeah? Tell that to C-20 who is still MIA."

"We will find her."

"What if something happened to you? What if our Variant was there? What would you have done then?" My mind is running faster than my words. I didn't dare to meet my father's eyes.

He shook my shoulders. "Nothing happened to me. Nothing ever will. You hear me?"

I nod my head.

"Look at me. Do you hear me?"

I finally looked at him. "I hear you." My voice breaks.

He pulls me in for a hug. I get a look at Loki before I bury my head in my father's neck. His eyes are filled with confusion and sympathy.

"I hate to break this up but we have a job to do, remember?" Loki's voice fills the silence.

I look up from my father's neck and sneer at him.

"Arabelle, he's right."

I nod and pull away. I point at Loki. "Don't tell anyone you saw me like this."

"Oh, I won't dream of it."

I give him one last, searching look before I pick up a stack of files. "So no branches arrived when you messed with the timeline in Pompeii?" I sat down in the seat I had earlier when I checked on Loki.

"None. So now we have to look for the right timeline." Mobius tells me.

"Okay, let's get to work."

I raffle through the files and find half of them I've never looked through before. "I take the half I have seen before, go through them a couple times before I hand them over to fresh eyes."

My father nods. "I'll do the same here."

Loki sighs. "Yay, more work for me." His voice is covered with sarcasm.

"That's life." I say with a smile and toss the bag of chips to him he didn't have before.

"Thanks."

I opened up the first set of files, a bombing in California in 2099. No survivors. Within a 15 mile radius only twenty buildings were still standing. I scanned through it finding nothing. I hand it over to Loki. The next set of files was a hurricane in Cuba in 2367. The whole island was whipped out. I look through it again. Nothing. I passed it to Loki. The third set of files is a nuke that was released on Syria in 2056. It ended their wars and committed genocide of their people. I look through it again, nothing new. I place it on the files I already passed to Loki. He sent me a look of annoyance. I gave him an apologetic look.